D&D 5E Shield Mastery Feat

5ekyu

Hero
A shove is in fact an attack.

Any character can shove as a bonus action if they get an attack of opportunity (including the shield master) So what makes the shield master feat special if he is severely limited to when he can use it?

My argument is that the mention of the "attack action" means that these bonus attacks are PART of the attack action. This is the case for Two weapon fighting, Magic weapon as well as for Polearm master. Since it is part of the attack action then the rule is that it can be done in any order.

The mistake people are making is treating a bonus attack as something separate from the attack action. It uses your bonus action but there are no examples of such attacks taking place "outside" of the attack action. I gave three other examples... Shield master shove is no different...
"Any character can shove as a bonus action if they get an attack of opportunity (including the shield master) "

I have no idea what you are talking about.

There is AFAIK no link between attacks of opportunity (reaction) and bonus action shoves.

Furthermore, shoves and grapples cannot normally be used as Opportunity Attack reactions since they both specifically require the attack action and thus are not available for OA reactions. They could be "Ready" but that's a different thing.

So, unless you just tossed out a chuck of unlabeled house rules - that which you just said made no sense.

"Any character can shove as a bonus action if they get an attack of opportunity (including the shield master) "

I have no idea what you are talking about.

There is AFAIK no link between attacks of opportunity (reaction) and bonus action shoves.

Furthermore, shoves and grapples cannot normally be used as Opportunity Attack reactions since they both specifically require the attack action and thus are not available for OA reactions. They could be "Ready" but that's a different thing.

So, unless you just tossed out a chuck of unlabeled house rules - that which you just said made no sense.

My bad, I should have said, "Any character can shove as a "reaction" if they get an attack of opportunity (including the shield master)".

As far as shoves being used as opportunity attacks it is expressly allowed.

PHB 195
-Melee Attacks
-Opportunity Attacks
...To make the opportunity attack, you use your reaction to make one "melee attack"...

Within the main section "Melee Attacks", we also have sub-sections for "Two Weapon Fighting", "Grappling" and "Shoving a Creature". (all on page 195)

Last edited:

ad_hoc

(they/them)
My bad, I should have said, "Any character can shove as a "reaction" if they get an attack of opportunity (including the shield master)".

As far as shoves being used as opportunity attacks it is expressly allowed.

PHB 195
-Melee Attacks
-Opportunity Attacks
...To make the opportunity attack, you use your reaction to make one "melee attack"...

Within the main section "Melee Attacks", we also have sub-sections for "Two Weapon Fighting", "Grappling" and "Shoving a Creature". (all on page 195)

shove/grapple are special attack action attacks.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/08/28/grapple-or-shove-opportunity/

So what if it says they are "special"? They replace a regular attack one to one.

To 5ekyu's point about shoves and grapples requiring the "attack action", that is true. Both descriptions state "use the attack action". However the book also states that regular attacks require the attack action on page 192.
PHB192
Actions in Combat
Attack
"The most common action to take in combat is the Attack action, whether you are SWINGING A SWORD, firing an arrow from a bow, or BRAWLING WITH YOUR FISTS.
With this action you can make one melee or ranged attack. See the "MAKING AN ATTACK" section.

PHB 193-195
Making an Attack
Melee Attacks
Shoving a Creature.............

Opportunity Attacks
"...use your reaction to make one MELEE ATTACK..."

(I can do this all day)

Last edited:

The book doesn't say they are "special" however to 5ekyu's point about shoves and grapples requiring the "attack action", that is true. Both descriptions state "use the attack action". However the book also states that regular attacks require the attack action on page 192.
PHB192
Actions in Combat
Attack
"The most common action to take in combat is the Attack action, whether you are SWINGING A SWORD, firing an arrow from a bow, or BRAWLING WITH YOUR FISTS.
With this action you can make one melee or ranged attack. See the "MAKING AN ATTACK" section.

PHB 193-195
Making an Attack
Melee Attacks
Shoving a Creature.............

Opportunity Attacks
"...use your reaction to make one MELEE ATTACK..."

(I can do this all day)

The hell?

Grappling and Shoving a Creature, both in their respective first paragraphs on p. 195, require the Attack action.

Attack action DOES NOT EQUAL Opportunity attack.

Period.

You're wrong. Now stop.

5ekyu

Hero
The hell?

Grappling and Shoving a Creature, both in their respective first paragraphs on p. 195, require the Attack action.

Attack action DOES NOT EQUAL Opportunity attack.

Period.

You're wrong. Now stop.
This was why I asked about house rules- the AO blah blah can as the pinning for why he thought others were wrong... but was itself just wrong by the rules- so now we get full circle to him ssying others got it wrong cuz we are not using his house rules...

Fortunately there is a solution to that...

Wait... what? Are people now arguing that you can't make a shove as an opportunity attack? Seems pretty clear on pg 195 of the PHB to me. Am I missing something here?

[SECTION]OPPORTUNITY ATTACKS
You can make an opportunity attack when a hostile creature that you can see moves out of your reach. To make the opportunity attack, you use your reaction to make one melee attack against the provoking creature. The attack interrupts the provoking creature's movement, occurring right before the creature leaves your reach.[/SECTION]
And...

[SECTION]SHOVING A CREATURE
Using the Attack action, you can make a special melee attack to shove a creature, either to knock it prone or push it away from you. If you're able to make multiple attacks with the Attack action, this attack replaces one of them.[/SECTION]

Therefore, use Shove as your melee attack during your Attack of Opportunity. Why not? And, to me, Crawford's Sage Advice ruling from 2015 dodges the question, though that is an entirely different action.

Last edited:

Remove ads