• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shield spell : Invisible

Shin Okada

Explorer
Sorry, another Shield spell thread. But I really want to know about this.

In many Shield spell thread, when someone start to cry "Shield is too strong", the answer is "you can avoid it with 5 foot step". But I remember, at least once, someone have mentioned that Shield created by this spell is invisible and thus attacker cannot ges which direction the shield is protecting, or the very existence of the shield at all. How do you guys thing about it?

dcollins

Explorer
The spell description does explicitly say that it is "invisible". Can you take 5 ft. steps around it? One has to assume so, but the game mechanics must be a rock-paper-scissors affair determined by where the wizard placed the shield last round.

Crothian

First Post
Ya, it'd be guessing a game to try to move around it. When Pcs use the shield spell i place it on the map so we can all see were it is. Their opponents rarely try to get around it. When an opponent uses it, I don't put it on the map. Sometimes they just thought the opponet had a really cool spell that keep blocking their arrows. It works best when Pcs don't immediately go"O, look it's a Shield spell"

Grendel

First Post
it is invisible, however how long do you have to pound on an invisible shield before you realize that you can step around it.

usually one hit against the highest AC then a 5' step to the side and bypass the shiled. Often times a fighter would not go directly at the wizard but to one side or the other, giving a good chance of going to the side that the shield is not on.

dcollins

Explorer
I must agree with Crothian that even when I've had an NPC protected by shield, and describe their blows and missiles as "bouncing off some unseen barrier in front him", the player melee fighters didn't pick up on or modify their approach for it. Hence I'd personally be loathe to assume that every NPC fighter has any better wits about them.

Of course, anyone who knows enough to flank an opponent will be getting some advantage over a shield.

Crothian

First Post
<<Of course, anyone who knows enough to flank an opponent will be getting some advantage over a shield.>>

Unless you do the Turtle manuveur and cast 2 shield spells. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads