Shifter and Templates...

Dwarmaj

First Post
Can Shifters change into Template creatures?

I don't see anything in the description of Greater Wildshape that would prevent it. Looking at the decription of a Half-Dragon in the Monster Manual, it has a type of Large Dragon, which a Shifter can change into.

Thoughts...

Dwarmaj

Dwarmaj

First Post
Bump... :D

As long as the Shifter has seen/studied an individual templated creature I don't see what prevents him from assuming a particular form that he has access to within size and type limitations.

Thoughts appreciated...

Dwarmaj

Galfridus

First Post
The MotW Wild Shape text says that you can only turn into an "average" creature of a given form: no strong humans, etc. The Sage has interpreted this language (prior to MotW being released) as meaning that templates are also out. I approve of this ruling for balance reasons; however, I would probably allow certain templates. For example, I would let a Shifter become a ghost -- but it would be a ghost of their base type, and they couldn't pick new ghost abilities each time.

IMO, allowing characters free access to all possible combinations of templates is asking for trouble.

Dwarmaj

First Post
Why not an "average" Half-Dragon/Half-Human? Half-Elf/Half-Human are permissable.

Sorry, I missed the Sages ruling. Any official errata on the subject?

Dwarmaj

Mahali

Explorer
I'd allow the shifter to get templates (as long as it keeps within HD limits) of template-creatures it's familiar with.

So you can be a half-dragon something or dire-something if you're familiar with that something but not half-dragon something else because you're not familiar with it.

This means you're familiar with the creature not the template.

thundershot

Adventurer
That's how I'll be doing it. When the character reaches the appropriate level, I'll have him make a list of things that he wants to turn into, and if I can confirm that he saw it, then it's fine. The only half-dragons any of the characters have seen are the one in the party (half-blue/half-elf) and the half-red/half-squirrels... <evil grin> neither of which was Large. Should be interesting.

Chris

Remove ads