Ship Graveyard Dungeon Ideas

mwnrnc

First Post
I'm working on a dungeon for my 3.5 campaign that will be in a ship graveyard. My setting is low magic, and the players are pursuing a merchant prince from a nearby trading city who has been enslaving illegal magic users for his dark cult's nefarious purposes. After they disrupted his operations in the city, he fled to his secret base in the Wrecks.

The Wrecks, as I picture them, are a centuries-old collection of shipwrecks in a nearby cove. New ships wreck all the time, crushing the older ones down and forming a dangerous maze of splintering wood, flooded rooms, and tangled rigging. Pirates and other brigands control the top decks, while farther down bestial races, monsters, and some undead hold sway.

I need some help with ideas for traps, encounters, etc. Ideally, the Wrecks would be an open-ended dungeon with multiple paths to the final encounter and some non-combat and/or RP scenarios thrown in. Any ideas?

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Ooh, nice. It makes my dungeon building bits tingle.

First thing I can think of is a room that the heroes get locked in and then fills up with water. An undead or giant octopus in the room is pretty much a given. It's a classic. Or cliche depending on your feelings. It could be either a deliberate trap or just something that happens.

Ghost Pirates! Sorry but I had to say it.

Strangle-weed. Use stats for a Strangle Vine (er, Fiend Folio maybe?) Some random patches but some patches cultivated in strategic spots by the pirates (and other inhabitants.)

Giant crabs scuttling through the sargasso like weed that infests the area. (I've just assumed a sargasso like setting with ships of the ages trapped in it. Sorry if I've assumed too much.)

A heroic duel in the rotting rigging far above the rotting deck of old man-o-war. Is there an NPC who has a particular mean on for one of your PCs? S/he provokes the PC (something like shoot at them, missing or slightly wounding) then flees into the rigging. Shooting at him proves useless as the old shrouds and lines give him too much cover. Keep the rest of the heroes busy with mooks. Someone has to go up into the rigging to get the bad guy or else s/he can just keep sniping.

Lost treasure in a hidden bulkhead. During a fight a PC or villain gets knocked through the bulkhead and lands in a pile of doubloons. Then the ship starts to sink/collapse. How much loot can the heroes get out before the whole thing goes down to a watery grave? If there's still villains alive they're trying to snatch as much loot as they can too.

Merfolk who hate the pirates (the lonely pirates steal their women folk) live in lowest parts of the graveyard. If the heroes are careful and respectful they could win the merfolk over to their cause. There's a group of young hot heads who hate 'dirty leggers' but who can be won over, intially by the idea of killing 'leggers' but eventually they come to like and trust the heroes.

Underwater passages that need to be swum through and that have many hazards to snare and catch the unwary. And of course they're pitch black. How available is magic light? And some are the haunt of horrible things: aquatic Dark Mantles, Ghouls. Nothing too dangerous unless your heroes have some sort of water breathing abilities.

A cell with kidnapped wizards. They are wary of the heroes because of the illegal nature of their studies.

A cell with kidnapped mermaids. They distrust all 'leggers' and can only be won over by other merfolk.

Speaking of ships of the ages: at least one of them has to be inhabited by some sort of vampire, lich, what not. This powerful, terrible being has lived here for centuries uncounted and knows many dread secrets. It tolerates the pirates because their leader has bribed it. Some money but mostly with sacrifices and more secrets. It's not implacably hostile to the heroes. It can be won over by promises of knowledge, magical knowledge being the most prized. If it can't be won over, well, it does have an eternal hunger for human blood/souls/brains.

Sea Serpents! How have I got this far and not thought of Sea Serpents? The environment provides ideal spawning grounds for the bad tempered, toothy beasts. The heroes stumble upon a nest of serpents, complete with eggs. Human remains are scattered through the lair with just enough shiny stuff to lure the greedy. Or, if your heroes are not that greedy, one of them falls through a rotting piece of deck and lands in the middle of the nest of sleeping serpents. Hilarity ensues.

Ropes to swing from. Maybe from one rotting hulk to another, just in time to prevent the BBEG sacrificing the beautiful princess/prince.

A great cabin is being used by the pirates. It is just above water level. It has a large hole in the floor. The pirates keep sharks nearby by dumping offal and such forth into the water through the hole. When the heroes attack they try to knock them into the water.

That's about all for now. But if I get any more ideas I'll pop back in and write them up.

cheers and have fun!

CarlZog

Explorer
On the upper levels, there will be gangs of salvagers working to try to strip the wrecks of anything valuable -- including possibly wood, depending on the needs of the neighboring kingdoms.

Tides wash through the graveyard on a regular basis, flooding certain areas then draining them and likely influence the pace of life. Creatures move in and out of specific areas with the tides, depending on whether they're waterbound or air-breathers.

Sentient wrecks. I was always captivated by the awakened ships in Robin Hobbs' Liveships trilogy. A sentient wreck may not be able to move much, but could attempt to communicate with adventurers, either allying with them or opposing them, depending on the ship's own attitude and backstory. It could also influence events within its hull -- fires mysteriously ignite, rigging breaks, decks collapse, etc. It could also struggle to get free with the tides -- rolling back and forth in the shallow water, struggling to unground itself, and sending everything on board rolling around. Or desolate over its fate, it could make every effort to destroy itself.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
a) It's just too wet. Nothing catches fire easily. Oh the tar that's still left burns but the wood is too sodden to do more than smoulder.

b) Low magic campaign, so maybe nto so many fireball tossers.

c) It's a bit psychotic.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I use the Sargasso Sea, this goes back to Johnny Quest and old B-movies, the ships go in but become entangled in the weeds. Monsters used Sahuagin, Sea Hags, Shambling Mounds, & Sharks, yep most of the letter "S".

Some ships were pulled together to build a town and the people would raid new ships. Placed a city (Atlantis) below, ruled by mind-flayers, that controled the Sahuagin.

Last edited:

Superking

Explorer
There was a whole adenture in Savage Tide that deat with getting stuck in a sargosso. I went through it as a player. It was great. Had a bit of horror feel to it. Especially when the sun was setting and the Dm qued the music from 28 days soundtrack.

Sigurd

First Post
You need some sort of guardian that stops fishermen from simply pillaging the graveyard until it's gone. Perhaps there is a curse on wrecks taken from the graveyard.

Definitely needs to be some bad mojo that has made a deal with your badguy or vice versa. If its low magic perhaps you should have some sort of voodoo or spirit magic - creepy and powerful but not something a player could control.

S

TheClone

First Post
c) It's a bit psychotic.

A perfect reason for PCs to do it.

I'll just steal the idea for my own low magic Savage worlds setting. It's to good.

I don't know, how that fits into the low magic idea, but maybe there is a working ship hidden in there. Some kind of flying Dutchman. And maybe some huge mechanical devices driven by sails, like a Windmill of ship sails. And if you'd like to add some realism, add mushroom and seaweed plantations in the lower decks

Remove ads