D&D General Vecna, Eve of Ruin - play reports.

for example the large monsters just barely crammed into a room
As with humans, the size of the counter massively exaggerates the volume actually occupied by the monster. Their counters can easily overlap without approaching sardine status.

An average human has a volume of 62 litres. A grid square represents a volume of over 3000 litres. There is bags of room.

Last edited:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I'm dreadfully behind with session reports (it's a lot harder in winter, which it is at the moment - also busy with work).

And I don't have time now!

But just for where we are at present: We started our exploration of the Death House (the Ravenloft chapter) today. We had a lot of fun. I could see how it could be used in a more horror way, but that's not our group. But we still had a very enjoyable time.

Overall, there's been more good experiences than bad so far.
Chapter 1: (Intro) Good
Chapter 2: (Meet the Wizards and Drow Outpost) Underwhelming
Chapter 3: (Spelljammer): Good (one excellent section).
Chapter 4: (Eberron): Very Good
Chapter 5: (Ravenloft) Promising!

Most of the NPCs in the individual sections are great fun to work with. Monsters tend to underwhelm, but there are some good ones here and there. Storywise (the individual chapter stories) work well for us.

The overall story? Meh. It's just an excuse to visit these particular planes.

Cheers,
Merric

When it comes to linear, get all obstacles out of the way writing, this was a good example of this. It’s not something I mind overmuch, but wow, isn’t it amazing that they got the information so quickly?
Hi MerricB. Would you mind expanding on this part. I don't know if it's just early or my brain is being dense, but I am having a difficult time understanding this sentiment. Whenever you get a chance and thank you.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Hi MerricB. Would you mind expanding on this part. I don't know if it's just early or my brain is being dense, but I am having a difficult time understanding this sentiment. Whenever you get a chance and thank you.
You find yourself in Evernight...

You need to get out of here. The adventure immediately leads you to a marketplace, where the first person you talk to has exactly the information you need. You go to the place they mention, kill a couple of monsters, and escape.

It feels very much like "We wanted to say you visited Evernight" rather than provide much of a problem (trapped in the Shadowfell) to solve.

The cultists in the graveyard gets the adventure moving, but being in Evernight doesn't give you anything of particular note to deepen the story.

Cheers,
Merric

You find yourself in Evernight...

You need to get out of here. The adventure immediately leads you to a marketplace, where the first person you talk to has exactly the information you need. You go to the place they mention, kill a couple of monsters, and escape.

It feels very much like "We wanted to say you visited Evernight" rather than provide much of a problem (trapped in the Shadowfell) to solve.

The cultists in the graveyard gets the adventure moving, but being in Evernight doesn't give you anything of particular note to deepen the story.

Cheers,
Merric
Ahh... I get it. Thank you. Also, hope you all have fun in your next session. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads