• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shocking Burst on a Crit? What if...

Chairman7w

First Post
Shocking Burst on a Crit? What if...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The target is immune to Crits?

The Shocking Burst does an additional 1d10 damage on a successful Crit. But what if the target is immune to Crits? (Undead, in this case)

Does that extra 1d10 still apply?

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Note that as written, this is a difference between "I'm immune to crits", and "I'm wearing Armor of Fortification".

A creature who is immune to criticals still suffers from crit-triggered effects; the critical occurs, they just don't take extra damage from it. But the effects triggered by the critical apply normally.

Armor of Fortification, on the other hand, has a percentage chance of negating the critical. If the crit is negated, it never happened, and thus the Burst (for example) was never triggered.

On the other hand, someone wearing Armor of Heavy Fortification, even though there's a 100% chance criticals on them will be negated, is not immune to criticals, and therefore they do not benefit from certain follow-on immunities - Armor of Heavy Fortification as written does not make you immune to the Stunning Fist feat, for example.

-Hyp.

glass

(he, him)
Chairman7w said:
Does that extra 1d10 still apply?

Yes it does, which is why I always like to get some kind of burst effect on my weapon if I am playing a fighter type: it avoids the 'yes! a 20, no! a zombie' moments. ;)

glass.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads