D&D 5E Shooting into a melee. Disadvantage or not?

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
I'm with @Oofta - usually, it's enough to apply half-cover to the enemy depending on the situation. That statistically is like "half-disadvantage" anyway.

It is fun to hit your ally though. I do miss that rule from 3.5 days :p

Oofta

Legend
I used to have a rule in previous editions that if you missed your target by 5 or more, roll again to see if you hit some other creature in line. So if you rolled a 2 you didn't automatically hit your buddy ... you rolled again to see if you hit them. Which could mean a miss, could mean a crit.

I thought it was more fair than auto hit, also more tense.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Mine in the past been if you miss your opponent, but your roll was high enough to hit your friend... well guess what? You did! Great shot! :)

Teemu

Hero
I'm with @Oofta - usually, it's enough to apply half-cover to the enemy depending on the situation. That statistically is like "half-disadvantage" anyway.

It is fun to hit your ally though. I do miss that rule from 3.5 days :p
That rule only applied when the combatants were grappling. If they were just engaged in melee, you took a -4 penalty to the attack roll, removed if you had the Precise Shot feat.

ccs

41st lv DM
In my games, yes.

I don't usually care to track wether you hit friend or foe. So the disadvantage is just to see if you can get the shot on a foe.
If you make it, you hit.
If you don't, then you don't shoot & no ammo is spent/spell slot used/whatever applies.

Remove ads