• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shotguns

Doc_Souark

Explorer
I liked the Forbidden Kingdoms rules that had the SG for a 12 Guage dam at 4d6 and you lose a die of damage for each range increment from you

Albert_Fish

First Post
one hopes that they would set ranges based upon Type of shot ( Turkey, buck, bird or slug) and type of Choke ( an atttachment that limits the spread or "grouping" usually a Full or Open choke). Of course you dont use a choke witha slug unless you want to ruin your choke ( the barrel should be fine if a bit scarred).

now the selective fire shotgunswith drum clips could be designed by a mad scientist type. that would scare the horsepuke out of your players.

VixenofVenus

First Post
I decided to do this:

All shotguns in the book are loaded with Slugs (so those stats are balanced for range, accuracy, and damage).

Then, if you want to load birdshot or buckshot:

1. Halve the range increment (yes I realize what this does to the sawed off shotgun ... and thats what they get for increased hiding ability)
2. Add two more damage dice
3. For every range increment beyond the first, you subtract a damage die, and you get a range penalty like normal.

From my point of view ... this works ... it makes shotguns SUPER-Deadly at near point-blank ranges (up to 25ft), but then makes them not so deadly the farther you get away.

I might go through and specifically say certain ones (probably those with a 50ft range increment normally, and high damage 40ft range ones) only get ONE extra die of damage.

But that fixes shotguns in my mind!

jerichothebard

First Post
Albert_Fish said:
now the selective fire shotgunswith drum clips could be designed by a mad scientist type. that would scare the horsepuke out of your players.

That reminds me a little of a character I had once upon a time - he carried a prototype double-barreled pump shotgun (version one was the "Big Mouth", after that blew up and took two fingers with it, version two was the "BlamMaster 2000"). He loaded both tubes with escalating rounds - started with little rubber pellets, then rock salt, then bird shot, buckshot, 18 dimes, slugs, slugs (he likea the slugs), flechettes, then dragons for the final ones.

Basically starting with a deterrant at first, then working up through progressive danger levels.

Eventually, at the end of a long and painful adventure, he looked at the villian, looked at his shotgun, pumped out the first three rounds, and started with the buckshot. No deterrant that day...

I may face my players with a villian like that one of these days...

jericho

Remove ads