5E Should 5e have more classes (Poll and Discussion)?

Should D&D 5e have more classes?

• Total voters

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Okay, so it wasn't QUITE that bad, but we did go through a lot of characters.

I remember the game at a local comic/book/record/game store being that way. Maybe 1/4 or more of the party died each night and you were lucky to make it to 2nd level. For some reason I played lots of clerics there. On the plus side the clerics never had to check and open the doors like the fighters and thieves did, and the armor and hp bonus over the magic users was big at first level. I'm not sure I thought about it like that then or not. Our home games weren't nearly so lethal.

Zardnaar

Legend
The real issue is the concept that divides core content (classes, sub-classes, seeds [Ares's phallic spear be blessed]) from non-core content. In my mind, the division is a false binary. Which classes, seeds, etc. are available should be wholly dependent on the setting, not their arbitrary inclusion and distribution among a set of books.

In one world, artificers may have no place. In another, fighters not. Both of those are equally compelling limitations.

Whose to say? Only the DM/setting designers.

Well by now core classes are fairly set in stone.

AD&D ones plus Sorcerer and I suspect the warlock will be joining them.

3E+warlock might be better way of putting it come to think about it. I'm not 100% sure but I suspect the warlock is popular with new players or popular overall.

3E+warlock might be better way of putting it come to think about it. I'm not 100% sure but I suspect the warlock is popular with new players or popular overall.

The whole concept of core anything is strange to me. D&D is a toolbox, after all. So why so much cement?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter

Core classes doesn't mean automatically included at every setting.
Core classes means that those classes will get the most constant and continual support by the WOTC design teams.

Warlock is core in 5e so it got subclasses and spells in Xanatar's and in Tasha's.
Artificer is not core in 5e so it go skipped in Xanatar's.
Blood Hunter is not core so it isn't supported actively anymore.

But if a table is playing a game in Westeros, the only available official classes are Babrarian, Fighter, and Rogue. You will need to add more classes to broaden options thereto represent its nonwarrior nobles and courtiers

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
But if a table is playing a game in Westeros, the only available official classes are Babrarian, Fighter, and Rogue. You will need to add more classes to broaden options thereto represent its nonwarrior nobles and courtiers
Or you could play a Warlock, Cleric or Sorcerer. Those existed outside of Westeros and could take a ship over. Thoros the Cleric of the Red God did that. These are PCs we're talking about. Being the one of a kind of your class from outside of Westeros would be available to them.

Maybe in a UA sourcebook of optional rules we could see something as the gestalt class, but the second class would be a "background class". This wouldn't help to be stronger or more powerful, nothing of more hit-points or bonus for attacks or save checks, but only a list of class features to know more, but nothing linked to a battlefield. This could allow PCs as the sage, even being no spellcasters.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Or you could play a Warlock, Cleric or Sorcerer. Those existed outside of Westeros and could take a ship over. Thoros the Cleric of the Red God did that. These are PCs we're talking about. Being the one of a kind of your class from outside of Westeros would be available to them.

The casters in D&D are a bit too powerful for Westeros and Essos. At least in the postValaryian era. Maybe as multiclass. They barely cracked level 2 spells in power.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The casters in D&D are a bit too powerful for Westeros and Essos. At least in the postValaryian era. Maybe as multiclass. They barely cracked level 2 spells in power.
Turning someone into a shadow to go kill someone. Raise dead. Blood curses to warp unborn babies. Permanent illusions. Seeing the future. Those are all beyond and in cases well beyond 2nd level. And I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
We'll have the Expert class for those soon.
Well it's a sidekick class so we have to see if it at least has decent chops in the exploration pillar or social pillar to be worth playing as a PC in a world where all three pillars are equally important.

Turning someone into a shadow to go kill someone. Raise dead. Blood curses to warp unborn babies. Permanent illusions. Seeing the future. Those are all beyond and in cases well beyond 2nd level. And I'm sure I'm forgetting some.
Yeah but half of those only work on certain subjects for the spell or are magic items/consumables.

The casters generic magic barely top 2nd level. Red priests don't even have fireball and it's a fire cult.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yeah but half of those only work on certain subjects for the spell or are magic items/consumables.

Material components. :)

The casters generic magic barely top 2nd level. Red priests don't even have fireball and it's a fire cult.
Clerics in D&D typically don't, even fire clerics. Magic isn't as flashy, but it was still pretty powerful. More ritualistic in nature. At least what we saw. We never really see what the sorcerers can do.

Last edited:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Material components. :)

[quotes]The casters generic magic barely top 2nd level. Red priests don't even have fireball and it's a fire cult.
Clerics in D&D typically don't, even fire clerics. Magic isn't as flashy, but it was still pretty powerful. More ritualistic in nature. At least what we saw. We never really see what the sorcerers can do.
[/QUOTE]

Light clerics in 5e get fireball.

A central theme of the postValyrian Westeros and Essos is that magic was waning blocks of men and gold replaced magic and magic creatures. GoT marks the resurgence of magic but GRRM has it still low magic in all 3 scales: power, frequency, and breadth.

You could arguefor Rangers and Paladins as the greenseers/wargs and fire priests are rather martial. But full casters would be noncannon. So you'd only have 5 classes to choose from and need 1-2 more classes to fully display the world.

Zardnaar

Legend
Westeros caster would have the Eldritch Knight spell table and some type of miracle ability like clerics that once a month or something they could ritual cast a higher level spell.

Even then those higher level spells would be from a limited list.

Essafah

Explorer
Why don't the people who want more classes just buy the Masterclass Codex and leave everyone else alone??

Well, my main group and pretty much every group I play with sticks to official material. Therefore while I am sure the Masterclass Codex has awesome stuff it will not be used by anyone in my group. The current Dungeon Master's would not allow it and to be fair (nothing against the Codex designers) I along with most of the other players prefer it that way as well.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
With the Psionic talk in Tasha's BOE, I've be reminded of the Playtest Sorcerer.

That would have coolas a new class.

You get willpower that you can spend to use special powers. Then as you spend willpower, you transform and stay that way until you long rest.

SubclassWhen you have willpowerWhen you run out of willpower
Dragon DiscipleHeavy Armor BlasterClawed Tank
Half-VampireShadowcasterHigh Speed Striker
Alchemical HulkRemarkable AthleteHulk Smash
Warden of VinePlant based ControllerI am Groot
Warden of StoneChucker of RocksIt's Clobbering Time
Archon of LightBurst HealerGlowing Lazergun

Halloween Horror For 5E

Advertisement2

Advertisement4