• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Should a DM buy the player splats?

khantroll

Explorer
At my table, we buy the books we want. System/game/language doesn't matter. If you want to use it in my game, and it is one that I do not have, then it had better fit on the 36 x 24 photocopier.

It shouldn't be the DM's duty to buy every book in the player's arsenal. The players, though, have to at least provide photocopies and have the book present at game sessions.

karlindel

First Post
I'll buy player splats because I enjoy reading them, and I sometimes use them when I'm a player. That said, I don't feel obligated to buy them as a DM.

If a player wants to use options from a non-core source, they need to run it past me and give me plenty of time to look it over and decide whether to allow it (and if it's allowed with changes what changes to make), and also give me copies of the relevant pages so that I have a reference.

Johnnii

Explorer
That's whats good about 4e (or at least was in the beginning), I as a DM didn't need to buy a single player splatbook and have concentrated funds on DM-splats. I haven't felt the need to restrict any player books but since I'm only buying book for my own needs, the only "playersplat" in our group is the PHB2.

Remove ads