D&D General Should Bearded Female Dwarves be the Default?

Should Bearded Female Dwarves be the Default?

• Yes

Votes: 46 20.4%
  • No

Votes: 64 28.4%
  • A possible trait, but not universal

Votes: 94 41.8%
  • No opinion

Votes: 21 9.3%

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
But according to the lore orcs are also magically fertile. Which means they can be a separate species as well.
Exactly. The existence of Magic completely throws a wrench in any definition of species based on real-life genetics. We don’t even know for certain that there is such thing as genes in D&D, so there’s no sense trying to apply a geneticist understanding of species there. But, species are a closer analogue for the relationship (or, lack of relationship) between humans and orcs than race, based on how those words are typically used.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
The 5E Monster Manual actually does use a Dwarf-Orc hybrid as an example of a non-Human Half-Orc. Half-Orcs are half Orc, not Human-Orc hubrids. The Explorer's Guide to Wildemount also discusses Dwarf-Elf children, and Half-Elves of non-Human heritage I'm general.
Where does the Monster Manual discuss dwarf-orc hybrids? I've read the book like 5 times and never came across that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Weiley31

Legend
All I know is that I read a thing online that explained the reason Dragons can breed with species like humans and such(how else ya get half-dragons?) Is that the reproductive system of dragons are similar to the humanoid/human species.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Is that the reproductive system of dragons are similar to the humanoid/human species.
The most common ways that dragons breed with humanoid species is by their Shape Change abilities that let them change their anatomy, so this is normally how they are created. How the genetics of something like this works is not clear and probably shouldn't have an answer, but they could just use the explanation of "magic, I guess" and call it good.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Where does the Monster Manual discuss dwarf-orc hybrids? I've read the book like 5 times and never came across that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Certainly, Monster Manual, page 245, emphasis added:

"Orc Crossbreeds. Luthic, the orc goddess of fertility and wife of Gruumsh, demands that orcs procreate often and indiscriminately so that orc hordes swell generation after generation. The orcs' drive to reproduce runs stronger than any other humanoid race, and they readily Crossbreeds with other races. When an orc procreates with a non-orc humanoid of similar size and stature (such as a human or a dwarf), the resulting child is either an orc or a half-orc. When an orc produces young with an ogre, the child is a half-ogre of intimidating strength and brutish features called an ogrillon."

So, when making a Half-Orc, any humanoid parent is viable, with dwarves singled out as an example.

Last edited:

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Certainly, Monster Manual, page 245, emphasis added:

"Orc Crossbreeds. Luthic, the orc goddess of fertility and wife of Gruumsh, demands that orcs procreate often and indiscriminately so that orc hordes swell generation after generation. The orcs' drive to reproduce runs stronger than any other humanoid race, and they readily Crossbreeds with other races. When an orc procreates with a non-orc humanoid of similar size and stature (such as a human or a dwarf), the resulting child is either an orc or a half-orc. When an orc produces young with an ogre, the child is a half-ogre of intimidating strength and brutish features called an ogrillon."

So, when making a Half-Orc, any humanoid parent is viable, with dwarves singled out as an example.
Ah, I must've forgot about that. They probably should've put that information in the Half-Orc section of the PHB instead of the Monster Manual. How many players have the monster manual?

Remove ads