D&D General Should Bearded Female Dwarves be the Default?

Should Bearded Female Dwarves be the Default?

• Yes

Votes: 46 20.4%
  • No

Votes: 64 28.4%
  • A possible trait, but not universal

Votes: 94 41.8%
  • No opinion

Votes: 21 9.3%

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I like1 and 3 a lot. 2 could work, though I’d be interested to know what factors are driving this cultural shift among dwarves.

I'd say it is a shift from the dwarf clans being from"just families" to "clans as occupations.".

Basically a class system. Once dwarves become stable enough to specialize, class roles, job roles, age roles,and of course gender roles become a thing.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I'd say it is a shift from the dwarf clans being from"just families" to "clans as occupations.".

Basically a class system. Once dwarves become stable enough to specialize, class roles, job roles, age roles,and of course gender roles become a thing.
Neat! Not sure I’d use it in my world, but it’s an interesting take.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
After a comprehensive, exhaustive study of the two women I currently have contact with and who are currently or have recently played female dwarves, the verdict is in.

Female dwarves do not have beards. You're welcome. :)
This is what I like to see, comprehensive data collection and analysis. Science has spoken folks. :p

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I mean, to be totally honest, I think it would be fine, but I think if you go there, you should really "blow the lid off" things in terms of races not being just "different-looking humans who live really long". All elves being able to change gender (even if they choose not to) is always cool. Dragonbor

I really like the MToF take on Dwarves sharing ancestral memory, which is triggered by alcohol...which is why Druegar are teetollers...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Most of the time I prefer my dwarves to have beards, period. But if someone wants to play a male dwarf with a handlebar mustache, or a female dwarf without a beard, I don't think the game should get in the way of either. A simple line of "some dwarven women grow beards, some do not" works for me.

Yeah, I think that's the best approach...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Y'know, it's funny: I feel that Matt Mercer gets pigeonholed in a lot of forum discourse as part of "kids these days, with their blog-casting and new-fangled ways." But, he's been playing D&D for ~30 years, and has a deeply AD&D aesthetic...

Last edited:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
After a comprehensive, exhaustive study of the two women I currently have contact with and who are currently or have recently played female dwarves, the verdict is in.

Female dwarves do not have beards. You're welcome. :)

"Do not have beards" is too ambiguous.

You need to check if they do not grow breads or can not grow beards.

1. Female dwarves can grow beards and do grow beards
  2. Female dwarves can grow beards and do not grow beards
  3. Female dwarves cannot grow beards and do grow beards
  4. Female dwarves cannot grow beards and do not grow beards
A new poll is required.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Y'know, it's funny: I feel that Matt Mercer gets pigeonholed in a lot of forum discourse as part of "kids these days, with their blog-casting and new-fangled ways." Bit, he's been playing D&D for ~30 years ....

So, one of those kids that needs to stay off of my lawn. He probably can't even name all of the famous NPCs in the back of the Rogue's Gallery!

Remove ads