D&D General Should Bearded Female Dwarves be the Default?

Should Bearded Female Dwarves be the Default?

• Yes

Votes: 46 20.4%
  • No

Votes: 64 28.4%
  • A possible trait, but not universal

Votes: 94 41.8%
  • No opinion

Votes: 21 9.3%

How would you tell? You are basing your definition of species on myth?

Closer to the real world pre-DNA definition of species, but you go on to explain why that doesn't work in fantasyland.

I'm shorter and stockier than the average human, does that make me a dwarf?

Members of the Mbuti tribe have an average height of less than 4 foot 11', but are definitely human.

Like it or not, she's a Dwarf according to Dragon Age's definition of a dwarf, now can you please go argue something less based on semantic nitpicking?

I.e. she is a dwarf because she identifies as a dwarf. Species has nothing to do with it.

Harding's a dwarf because she's a dwarf because the game says so. She's just as much not a human as Iron Bull isn't a dwarf.

There is merit in picking apart the metatextual themes of a text, film, or game in order to interrogate the political and social views that it espouses whether or not the author intended them, bit there is no point in denying the worldbuilding assumptions of the setting. Or else you start looking the 5 year old who keeps asking "why" beyond all reason.

Next you're gonna be telling me that Draconblood aren't dragonborn because they have tails, or Teu-tel-quessir aren't elves because they have blue skin.

But yes, Minister Zhao Gao, the deer that you have presented in front of me is quite obviously a horse.

/s

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I.e. she is a dwarf because she identifies as a dwarf. Species has nothing to do with it.

I'm really not sure how "species" got dragged into this... I'm not even sure that humans, elves, dwarves and orcs are different species, since in some settings they can all reproduce with each other. Yes they create very different looking children, but that's like saying that two different types of dogs are different species (they're not, they're different breeds).

This is part of the reason why D&D refers to them as different races, not species.

5 year olds have a very good reason for asking "why". It's a shame adults forget it.
Only if you're a solipsist. To otherwise engage with the world in any sort of meaningful way requires accepting some metaphysical propositions as axiomatic foundations, if only for the sake of convenience.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases