• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Should game designers remain neutral when designing D&D?

Sage Genesis

First Post
In a 3e game that no one track encumbrance Str looses a lot of meaning, and you may not realize how that trickles down the balance chain. The wizard puts an 8 in str because it is useless to him, but then carries 3 spell books full of spells, a magic staff, 5 potions, a dozen scrolls and 3-5 wands most of the time, plus treasure and extra cloths and components... you don't realize how much that all adds up.

Intended as a lighthearted little sidenote:
If you look up the weights of those items it turns out that actually it's not all that hard to stay under the light load limit with all that. A dozen sheets of paper weighs next to nothing and potions come in tiny little vials that hold two tablespoons worth of fluid. Wands weigh about as much as a spoon. No grown man (or halfling) ought to collapse under the weight of three to five spoons.

I suppose if the treasure is particularly bulky then you may have to stow some of that junk in a backpack and accept a medium load penalty. So, like, you will walk a little slower until you dump your backpack at the start of combat. Not really a big problem.

;)

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
The problem is that Fate IS a style of D&D...if we define D&D as a Medieval Fantasy Game with Elves, Dwarves, Dragons, Magic, and High Adventure. Which is about the only thing all the editions of D&D have in common.

Within that framework there are nearly infinite permutations of rules that will still qualify as D&D(IMHO) but will have completely different playstyles. Fate fully qualifies as one of those permutations. Though, it's not the one I'd pick since it is a little too far out of my playstyle.

I can play D&D with Hero System, GURPS, Palladium Fantasy, Fate, 13th Age, and likely a number of other games. D&D just gets to be D&D because it is made by WOTC.

You're not wrong.

Remove ads