D&D 5E Should I ask my DM to kill my D&D character?

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
So... here's my take:

1) If you want your character to continue, just depower him in some way. The aforementioned loss of magic items and the lowering of stats from an injury would both be pretty effective. Also an option would be a Curse that can later be lifted when the rest of the party has caught up in power level.

2) Spectacular Death (Death that is itself a Spectacle) can also be really big and powerful. 100%.

3) NPCdom. Your character may be needed to fulfill some specific aspect of the quest that requires them to depart the party, and then your new character is introduced from NPC Status to help the party in his absence (And possibly betray them if your new character is secretly part of an evil plot)

Each has it's own narrative power. Talk with your DM about which solution would be most effective.

piers

Explorer
If you want to keep playing him, what about swapping him out for a different character for a level or two ("Yeah, sorry guys, got to go away on a big quest for plot-related reasons"), then bringing him back?

Once the other PCs have a couple of extra levels under their belt, he won't be OP any more.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
So in my D&D game, I have a character, which I absolutely love. He has made a large impact on the plot, which has helped move the storyline along. There is one problem though. My character is a bit overpowered. He is a Tiefling Fighter, and has a large connection to the storyline. My DM is fine with whatever decision I make. What should I do?

So what makes this fighter OP? If he's a better tank than the other PCs... that's ok, that the fighter's job

Panfilo

Existential Risk
If you're really in love with playing the character, take the advice of the other posters above. If you aren't, the likelihood that your DM actually has a sacrifice-worthy threat on deck is fairly high, and with the commitment to deliver your character as said sacrifice, they will probably be comfortable using it. Have a little meeting with them and plan to meet each other half way; I did as much a year or so back and it ended up elegantly fulfilling a prophecy in the campaign setting. If you want an extra layer of mechanics and flavor to go along with it (and possible future permadeaths), check out my first DMs Guild supplement, Last Stand: A Worthy Death!

If a Tiefling Fighter has somehow become overpowered, that's either the fault of the DM for handing out too many magic items, or the other players for making characters that suck in comparison.

So it's not your fault and your character shouldn't have to die for something that isn't your fault. Just enjoy the power instead!

was

Adventurer
you could focus more on tanking, than on dealing damage, to let other characters shine a bit during normal fights. that way you can still bring out the big guns vs. the BBEG

This thread is kind of a big-time indictment of 5e--the fact that you can legitimately create an OP character (with almost no one on here questioning this sad fact) and also that typical 5e gameplay is so rote, repetitive, and combat-centric that being OP in this way is an issue. Just bummers all around.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
How is he overpowered?
This. The DM who is challenged by a PC should just turn in her shield.

If a PC is making other PCs look weak in battle, that tends to get the attention of all the enemies on the battlefield. Now you're a target. . .

If @Leucis Deceit wants to keep using the character, without self-nerf, the PC could decide that his comrades are in need of training. Then the PC proceeds to coach the weaker PCs through battle, bailing them out when necessary.

If you're ready for another character, turn that PC into an NPC, to maintain the story importance.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases