Should I Roll20?

Retreater

Legend
This is a difficult topic to discuss with strangers online. I'm not looking for a heated argument. Honestly, I'm looking for information and compromise.

Short story. My old college friends want to play an online game. The DM is sold on Roll20. I've bought in to Fantasy Grounds. I wasn't big on Roll20's subscription model and preferred the one-time cost of FG (and a better UI, in my opinion).

Then the controversy came out last year. I don't want to dredge up all those details, but it involved a few of my favorite YouTubers, and I felt insulted by Roll20's statements. Because of these statements, I've essentially boycotted Roll20. I don't even want to use their free services (Compendium, etc.)

Should I back down on this for the sake of my friends' game? Should I try to encourage them to play on another service? The inner dwarf in me wonders "how long is long enough to hold a grudge?"

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Supporter
Should I back down on this for the sake of my friends' game?
In short? Yes. Your friend and his/her/their happiness is more important that some online grudge. If they like running their game on roll20, they're comfortable with it and have done the necessary work to run it on there, it's a no brainer for me. But I'm not you, so...

Should I try to encourage them to play on another service?
Not in so many words, no. However, if there is a break in the game and they'd like you to run something, do Fantasy Grounds. That way they get to try the new platform without feeling forced to do so. People seem to naturally resist being forced to do something even when it's better for them. And in this case, it's not even that. Just a preference.

The inner dwarf in me wonders "how long is long enough to hold a grudge?"
Two seconds. I mean that. A grudge does nothing to punish the person, place or thing you have the grudge against and only occupies your own head space.

Remove ads