D&D (2024) Should Modify Spell become a downtime activity?

mellored

Legend
Maybe if there was a table to roll on. Similar to wild magic.

I.e.
Make an arcane check..
roll on the table a number of times...
Higher levels spells can have more effects...

Then you can end up with a 3rd level spell that shoots a 3d6 fireball, 2 magic missile, and teleports you 30'.

Yaarel

He Mage
Encouraging players to invent new spells is awesome.

Of course, the tricky part is deciding what slot level it belongs to, for the sake of mechanical balance. Some DMs may feel more upto the task than others.

Because a spell can be ... anything ... it is difficult to establish parameters. Creating new spells is more an art than a science. There is a "professional practice" in between art and science, relying on "useful" methodologies. So evaluating a new spell is similar to an optimization discussion.

Spell research should happen for every caster class. Yet caution is also necessary for balance.

Encouraging players to invent new spells is awesome.

Of course, the tricky part is deciding what slot level it belongs to, for the sake of mechanical balance. Some DMs may feel more upto the task than others.
I think there should be a few helpful guidelines. Like obviously if it's a spell that's based on Fireball but does Acid Damage, well it's basically the same level as Fireball. But if it's Fireball but with a 600 foot range, then maybe it's +1 level.

Yaarel

He Mage
I think there should be a few helpful guidelines. Like obviously if it's a spell that's based on Fireball but does Acid Damage, well it's basically the same level as Fireball. But if it's Fireball but with a 600 foot range, then maybe it's +1 level.
Even that is tricky since Fire is the most resisted, so a less good attack. But Fire is among the most frequent encounters, so is an excellent defense.

Each spell needs to be considered on its own merits, then compare to the "desirability" of spells in the same slot.

For low level stuff. Hit points is the best measure. If your character only has 10 hit points, how many would you permanently give up in exchange for spell? The answers tend to be accurate, especially at the aggregate.

But high level stuff depends more on defacto damage output and precedents established by the spells at certain slot levels. It also helps to think about what kinds of things SHOULD be happening at each tier (1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16, 17-20). For example, I prefer limited flight at tier 5-8, but at-will flight at 9-12 onward, tho some concepts make this clean separation tricky. Flight that requires spending the Action seems ok during tier 1-4.

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
Importantly, the official spells need a revamp.

The spells that are in the same spell slot need to be about a equally desirable as each other.

Any subpar spell (that optimizers can easily spot) needs to either be rewritten with a boost, or demoted to a lower slot where it compares better with the other spells at that slot level, or the spell needs rethinking and redesign.

Fortunately, 5e did a pretty good job at removing spells that are too powerful. Only a few spells seem to need a nerf like Force Cage, and a few spells maybe need a promotion like Shield or Bless, at least a doublecheck to confirm they deserve their current slot.

When the official spells at each slot more clearly deserve their respective slot levels, it will be much easier for DMs to figure out which slot a new spell belongs in.

Horwath

Legend
if it's +1 damage per die, than maybe +1 level.

600ft? people really overestimate 600ft range. I played a rogue/fighter to 9th level with Sharpshooter, in whole campaign I made about 10 shots over 150ft.

Distant spell is OK as it gives increase of 0->30, 30->60 and 60->120, everything else is gravy.

Remove ads