• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Should Next have been something completely new and made from scratch?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hmm? There are lots of completely new games. Folks are welcome to try them all. This one's D&D. Yiu can have both; a thousand new games AND D&D!

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Here is how I look at it.

My friend and I both like cereal but we both like different kinds. I like Froot Loops and my friend likes Apple Jacks. Well the problem is there is only one bowl and we both want what we like now. Well a third person comes up with the idea of mixing the two cereals together so we can both have what we like. Well the problem with that is I don't like Apple Jacks and he doesn't like Froot Loops and the cereal is already mixed. Neither one of us want to have to pick out which cereal we like out of the bowl.

This analogy is so far from my experience of the game, that it suggests you have not sincerely attempted to play the game as written, but are looking for things not to like.

Zardnaar

Legend
Then you end up with a game very open to accusations of "not D&D". It doesn't have to be the best RPG on the market, it just has to be a good version of D&D. Time will tell on how the fanbase accepts it. It is to 4E for me so I will likely pass and stick with retroclones and Pathfinder and a bit of AD&D on occasion.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads