• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Should Next have been something completely new and made from scratch?

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
Then you end up with a game very open to accusations of "not D&D". It doesn't have to be the best RPG on the market, it just has to be a good version of D&D. Time will tell on how the fanbase accepts it. It is to 4E for me so I will likely pass and stick with retroclones and Pathfinder and a bit of AD&D on occasion.

Which parts of D&D Next do you not like?

Zardnaar

Legend
Which parts of D&D Next do you not like?

Lack of classical vancian spells, bounded accuracy as implemented, all classes have the same attack prof, the skill system, the optional feats or a stat buff (what happens if you want to skip feats and don't want the stat buff?), damage on a miss mechanic, a lack of classic D&D tropes (LG Paladins only), the armor, the weapons, dex to hit and damage with finesse weapons, to many 4Eisms in the game etc.

Zardnaar

Legend
This is what I'm talking about. Part of the reason you don't like the game is because it contains elements from a game you don't like.

That and it is missing parts I do like such as proper vancian casting. Not sure if you are trying to score points or whatever but I am more likely to go and buy a clone/PF over D&DN if it has to many elements of stuff I do not like in it.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
That and it is missing parts I do like such as proper vancian casting. Not sure if you are trying to score points or whatever but I am more likely to go and buy a clone/PF over D&DN if it has to many elements of stuff I do not like in it.

It's not about scoring points. It's about point out how "not such a good idea" Next is with regards of trying to bring elements from multiple editions into one game.

If there is a certain game you like that Next is trying to emulate then why wouldn't you just play the original? That way, you can have the game you like without having to sift through another game until you find what you like.

fjw70

Adventurer
This is what I'm talking about. Part of the reason you don't like the game is because it contains elements from a game you don't like.

Even if they started building 5e from scratch it could still have elements from a game you don't like (whether that game is 4e or something else you don't like). I am not sure how your approach solves this particular issue.

fjw70

Adventurer
It's not about scoring points. It's about point out how "not such a good idea" Next is with regards of trying to bring elements from multiple editions into one game.

If there is a certain game you like that Next is trying to emulate then why wouldn't you just play the original? That way, you can have the game you like without having to sift through another game until you find what you like.

One of the promises of Next (whether you believe it or not) is the mixing of elements from different editions to create a ruleset you want to play. No single edition can do that right now.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
Even if they started building 5e from scratch it could still have elements from a game you don't like (whether that game is 4e or something else you don't like). I am not sure how your approach solves this particular issue.

There is more to D&D than just the mechanics. There is the cosmology, the creatures, the various worlds such as Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk.

Why play a game that contains elements of 4th edition when you could just buy 4th edition and play it? Why do you need to purchase a game that brings you the feel of 2nd edition when you could just go and buy 2nd edition?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads