D&D 5E Should Ranger/Paladin get 1 level 1 spellslot at 1st level?

Lanliss

Explorer
Depends on if you mean "Should" or "Do". By RAW, No, they get it at 2nd level. If you are talking about "should", that will be subjective, and a decision for you or whoever happens to be DM.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Depends on if you mean "Should" or "Do". By RAW, No, they get it at 2nd level. If you are talking about "should", that will be subjective, and a decision for you or whoever happens to be DM.

Saying "should" was no mistake. I'm all for that subjective conversation. Thus this thread.

FrogReaver

As a DM, I wouldn't. A 1st-level Ranger or Paladin would be too much stronger than a 1st-level Fighter if they got all their class features and spellcasting.

Not seeing it. I suppose it depends on how much you value divine sense and favored enemy/natural explorer at level 1.

During a whole campaign I could make a case these are valuable abilities. IMO at level 1 they rarely see play.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I'm assuming that Fighters, Rangers, and Paladins are all balanced at 1st level. Giving some of them extra features would unbalance them.

Do you disagree with this assumption?

FrogReaver

I'm assuming that Fighters, Rangers, and Paladins are all balanced at 1st level. Giving some of them extra features would unbalance them.

Do you disagree with this assumption?

yes. IMO ranger and paladin are underpowered at level 1 compared to barbarian or fighter (at least in combat. nor do I believe their other level 1 abilities make up for that at level 1 in the other pillars)

Remove ads