D&D 5E Should Ranger/Paladin get 1 level 1 spellslot at 1st level?

Uchawi

First Post
From a design perspective I prefer classes have similar progression, so if certain classes get spells at first level, it makes perfect sense to me for martial classes to get maneuvers at first level. The same concept applies for feats, skills, etc.

I do not like the 5E concept of tiers where casters get more choices (spells) at first, but I also not like other systems like 4E where everyone gains the same amount of choices with AEDU.

You may find some DMs that want to mess around with the mechanics and allows paladins and rangers to gain more spells earlier, but that starts to skew other classes even more. At that point it may be easier to look at another RPG to play.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
From a design perspective I prefer classes have similar progression, so if certain classes get spells at first level, it makes perfect sense to me for martial classes to get maneuvers at first level. The same concept applies for feats, skills, etc.

I do not like the 5E concept of tiers where casters get more choices (spells) at first, but I also not like other systems like 4E where everyone gains the same amount of choices with AEDU.

You may find some DMs that want to mess around with the mechanics and allows paladins and rangers to gain more spells earlier, but that starts to skew other classes even more. At that point it may be easier to look at another RPG to play.

you do realize you are saying this in the backdrop of granting the ranger and paladin a single first level spellslot? Do you really think that's such a monumental change that it means I should play something other than 5e?

Draegn

Explorer
In our game all caster arcane or divine start with spells at first level. The difference is that arcane casters use slots which "recharge" after a time when used, whereas, divine casters start with a number of points that if used are lost and have to be regained through role playing. With the exception of one character priest who is similar to Thoros of Myr from GoT, our divine character players tend to be conservative with their points and use them only in dire situations.

guachi

Hero
I have no problem with a Paladin or Ranger getting one 1st level spell slot at 1st level. Firstly, it's the logical deduction for a half-caster to have half the spell slots of a 1st level full-caster. Second, it does provide a little bit of the flavor that paladins and rangers have. Namely, that they are spell casters.

In one campaign I ran, one of the players was a monk. The PCs could be from basically anywhere but the campaign was starting in a particular place so the players had to determine how they got there and why they would be there. The monk player was from a country hundreds of miles from the starting campaign location. He was from a not-Mongol horse culture (Ethengar Khanate from the Known World). His backstory was that his ki power manifested while in a fight and he accidentally punched a lord's son to death, so he fled.

Obviously, monks don't get kit at first level. But similar to giving a paladin or ranger a 1st level spell slot I gave the monk one ki per long rest. It fit with his backstory and gave him a little flavor of his distinguishing class characteristic. Personally, I'd even consider someone who knew he was going to play an Eldritch Knight or Arcane Trickster a cantrip at 1st level.

I can understand why Fifth Edition is structured the way it is with short 1st and 2nd levels to give a gradual (but not overlong) introduction of their class to new players. Alternatively, you could always start all PCs at 2nd or 3rd level and call it a day. I'd be tempted in the future to start PCs at 2nd level but with 0 xp.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I don't feel that they need to, but if you want them to have a 1st level spell slot and the gain their spellcasting ability at level 1 then go for it. It won't really hurt anything.

Should Ranger/Paladin get 1 level 1 spell at 1st level?

Nope. You're a half caster. That's why you never get above 5th level spells. At level 20, you cast like a 10th level full caster.

I do think Paladin and Ranger should have cantrips, though. Not a very good list -- maybe only 5 to choose from -- but they should have them. A Paladin cantrip that lets you make a single melee attack as a cantrip that converts your weapon damage to radiant would be really in-flavor.

Horwath

Legend
No,

They are half casters and they should get their spells at 2nd level.

What they should get is 1-3 cantrips along their caster career.

Also they are "fighting classes" and should get fighting style at 1st level.

Remove ads