• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Should the ENnies cover CCGs, CMGs and boardgames?

Khairn

First Post
I agree whole heartedly with Erik. Why does an award created by RPGers, to support and recognize excellence in the RPG community & industry need to expand to incorporate other games?

If they want to maybe someone else at Gen-Con can start a brand new set of awards for those other gaming categories. I know ... they can call it the "Glee Awards" and hand out a glowing green brain to every winner.

Perhaps you see that as a radical notion and one step from turning the ENnies into the GENnies, but nevertheless - there it is.

The notion is fine. I just disagree with it and believe that it will eventually do more harm than good for the RPG industry.

Ghostwind

First Post
Having served as a CCG judge for the Origins Awards for the past three years and seeing all of the politics that fall into that, I prefer that the Ennies remain focused on roleplaying games for exactly the reasons that Erik outlined. RPGs need the awards to help spur sales, other stuff doesn't. Let them build their own sand castle on the beach.

EricNoah

Adventurer
I prefer more focus and less scattershot. (But then I have zero knowledge of non d20 RPGs and thus am unable to cast informed votes in the ENnies these days anyway.)

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Whereas I am fervently pro non-d20, since I don't play d20 games currently, and there are SO MANY AWESOME non-d20 games on the market right now.

Dextra

Social Justice Wizard
Last year I think it was, I was asked if I would consider expanding the ENnies beyond their current scope. I suggested an ENnies II to be held at Gen Con SoCal with alternate categories (RPG Fiction, for example). And no, it wasan't just a pale attempt to get Peter Adkison to pay my flight to California in December!

Well, there's no more GCSC, but if Gen Con decided that they needed to support more awards than those they already do (hosting the Indie awards, Diana Jones, and the ENnies) in order to acknowledge excellence in all the segments of gaming, I would be glad to manage them.

Separately from the ENnies.

Call them the GENnies, I don't care, but with an average of 20 categories every year for the ENnies, that's enough for one award ceremony. More than that would make for a snooze-fest of an evening, and most likely detract from the première RPG awards of the world.

As it is, managing the ENnies is a part-time job year-round. To expand them further would basically mean me having to quit my regular job, and I don't think that making up my salary is in the budget.

But most importantly, through a lot of hard work and massive fan support from the RPG boards, the ENnies have come a long way in a short time. I say let's stay focused on being the best RPG awards out there, and keep the ENnies strong.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads