Should this PC implant the Eye of Vecna?

Should this PC implant the Eye of Vecna

• Yes.

Votes: 31 72.1%
  • No.

Votes: 12 27.9%

the Jester

Legend
Sounds like you're the dm, so it isn't up to you.

From a "MOAR POWER!!" perspective, artifacts are awesome. From a "keep your character unpossessed, unchanged, uncorrupted" perspective, they are almost always horrific.

Absolutely should do it. How often do you get to play a character that wields one of the top 3 most legendary items in the history of D&D and have a functional narrative built up to legitimize it?

What would be particularly awesome is if this PC slowly became the primary antagonist of the PCs, he "retires" the character to roll a new one and ends up fighting his own, now legendary for all time in your game, PC in the ultimate showdown in the endgame. That would be awesome for everyone at the table I would think.

was

Adventurer
Not only no, but hell no. Ripping out you own eye and implanting a majorly evil artifact is a quick way of turning your pc into the DMs finger puppet. If you really want to screw with things, find the most obnoxiously good npc and stick the eye in him.

MarkB

Legend
Two words: Bidding war.

The character should pick out any 2-3 deities that he'd trust to 'take care of' the Eye, and let it be known to them that he has the Eye, and is willing to hand it over to their safe keeping. All he needs in return is for them to materially express the degree of their commitment to taking responsibility for the item. Whichever of them presents the most gratifying offer will win the Eye.

Storminator

First Post
IN character, the question is "will the secrets I learn from Vecna help me more than the secrets I tell Vecna hurt me?"

If I were DM, I'd make sure there was a lot of weight on the helpful secrets side.

PS

pemerton

Legend
I just got a phone call from my player, and he's come up with a plan slightly from left field: he's going to implant the Eye in his imp familiar - which is a "watcher" from Levistus bound to his service. Thereby playing off Levistus against Vecna.

Mechanically, the attacks will come from his active familiar, and the "third eye" will allow him to see through his familiar's eyes.

Thanks to everyone who posted and voted!

Last edited:

S

Sunseeker

Yes, 110% yes! Why? Because it'd be fun as heck!

Yes, I realize you came to a solution on this already, but I had to think about it for a while. It's too much fun to say no.

Remove ads