WotC Should WotC buy a Fantasy Novel Publisher like Tor next?

Maybe they don't need to buy a new publisher but to hire good writers.

Good writers freelance, they aren't available for hire.

Other option can be a mash-up updating works from public domain, for example by Julio Verne, Robert Louis Stevenson, Walter Scott, Emilio Salgari or Cervantes. Popular folklore is full of almost forgotten stories.

Whilst this is pretty much exactly the method I use for creating D&D adventures, I'm dubious about it as a commercial publishing strategy, unless you do it openly, and are a famous writer:
Norse Mythology: Amazon.co.uk: Neil Gaiman: 9781408891957: Books

Mythos: Amazon.co.uk: Stephen Fry, G. Calza: 9788893817301: Books

My suggestion is to use a forgotten Cervantes' work "The Travails of Persiles and Sigismunda" but with some changes in a fantasy worlds (with orcs, undeads and things like that). It shouldn't be worse than mash-up works as "Pride, prejudice and zombies".

* We know the best authors would rather to create their own worlds starting from zero, without troubles about continuity or secondary canon.

* How should be a new D&D world to be popular as manganime in Japan or Korea, anything like Reena & Gaudi: Slayers? And (a reboot of) Gamma World to be sold as novels for teens and young adult?

* The Witcher saga use the classic tales but adding a wicked twist. Maybe Hasbro could publish something like its own version of Jim Henson's Storyteller serie, recovering fairy tales from the popular folklore but adding an updated style, with enough kid-friendly tone, of course. Russia, East Europe or Latin-speaker countries can be a great source of inspiration.

* Ravenloft in the right hands has got a great potential to sell gothic horror stories among non-players. Maybe we need a reboot of the masque of the red death, but set not in our Earth planet but in a fantasy counterpart, to be more politically correct and opened doors for authors.

* How would be the fairy tales in the D&D? Without Grimm brothers, Perrault, Aesop the fabulist or Andersen the characters would be different. This is a good excuse to sell D&D books for children but without becoming too childish.

Last edited:

gyor

Legend
Are they? To me it seems they lost their interest years ago and nowadays are only marginally interested if someone approaches them with a good proposal, but otherwise don't think about it.

They are still looking for a broader deal they like.

gyor

Legend
The Onyx Path often mixes short stories into their TTRPG books, it would add flavour if WotC started doing that. It'd be better than 17 pages of names, that is for sure.

I like to tell my ideas and theories about future projects, but I don't see reactions by the others. I would like their own hypothesis about Hasbro's plans. If you are a Hasbro CEO, what would you do? We know they are working in the mystic class and the psionic powers, and in the past they talked about "modules", options as mass battles, kingdom management, sidekicks or crafting.

Sometimes I wonder about why they didn't publish d20 Spectaculars, the last d20 Modern sourcebook about superheroes. There was even an cover and showed a date.

* I see the books as the cheapest option to test new franchises, but the money is in the videogames and the series broadcasted in the streaming media services. How many people know "PJ Masks" is an adaptation of a serie of children books? For this it is better to hire teams with experience than starting from zero.

And about the market of the children books the rivals aren't only new titles, but best works from the last decades.

* Marvel published an app "Create your Own" to create your own stories with characters by Marvel comics. I like to suggest new and crazy ideas, and now mine is an app to create your own machinima D&D movies or even interactive films as an Endless Quest book, with a rating for ages (+7,+14, +16). Some youtuber streamers could play this interactive movies.

Greenwood needs an award for the worst novel I have ever read that anyone had the effrontery to publish professionally (Spellfire).

I have read a self-published novel that was almost as bad...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases