WotC WotC can, and probably should support multiple editions of D&D.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Very little. There were a few things of the mass of Dragon content that became official content, but even looking at the early years of the magazine, it wasn't a big percentage.

We tend to remember the big things that DID become part of the game, but overall most of the content in The Dragon didn't make it in.

Cheers,
Merric

On the other hand, if you go all the way back to the short run of The Strategic Review, quite a bit did.

BoneMan

Explorer
Every time WotC puts out a new DnD version they fragment their audience.
We tried 4e and 5e and we liked 3.5 better, so we went back to 3.5.
We'll never buy any 5e books, but if they put out more 3.5 content, we would buy it all.

Remathilis

Legend
We'll never buy any 5e books, but if they put out more 3.5 content, we would buy it all.
No offense, but is there anything in 3.5 left that hasn't been served by the 8 years of WotC, decade of Paizo, not to mention hundreds of 3pp products?

Dire Bare

Legend
Kinda.

Sure, there are long time fans who prefer and still choose to play an earlier edition of D&D rather than 5E. But 5E has grown the overall fanbase to more than compensate for that.

It's awesome there are groups like yours out there playing an earlier edition that works just fine for them . . . I have a buddy whose playgroup also decided to stick with 3E over the years . . . but WotC "supporting" (creating new content) for older editions isn't worth it financially to them, there aren't enough of y'all to make it worthwhile.

Which is fine. Time moves on. Keep playing what makes you and your friends happy, there is so much material out there still for 3E, you don't really need new books from WotC.

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
I believe they were talking about whether there are still gaps in content, not about hoe many players there still are
Yeah, I mean, even just limiting oneself to WotC content available on the DMsGuild...there aren't many gaps in 3.x content coverage. They got pretty exhaustive.

bmfrosty

Explorer
I've spent so much time thinking about a new version of B/X that I've forked the Delta's OED repo and am reworking it to be a B/X hack in the way that I imagine a new Rules Cyclopedia to be, but to just be a hack. Mostly character class changes that can be used on top of an existing B/X or BECMI fork with some methods on using more modern mechanics.

Remove ads