• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Should WotC Release 4E Now?

LowSpine

First Post
hargert said:
yes I doubt many people are going to not buy the books because they have downloaded the leaked copies. All this has done is create more buzz and hell it might even get them some more sales as the anti 4th edition crowd can see what the game is and not just snippets anymore.

I had a similar thought - It is WOTC being cunning.

This is going to happen anyway. Leak it in a preview type of way - and get some internet buzz.

Insert loads of errors so the p2ps will be landmined with bad copies.

Anyone that thought 'stuff it I'll just use the PDF' might change their mind because of how difficult it will be to find a copy without bad errors.

All these leaks seem to have too much of a perfect timing/pacing to them. Good luck to them.

bandrewski

First Post
I sent Wizards a note using their customer support form that they needed to release the books to local gaming stores. It is unfair that those of us that paid the extra $30 to $40 to support a store now have to wait longer then those that ordered it online.

They should be released on Tues the 3rd anyway like most products. Most people are only going to have a few hours between getting the books and the World Wide D&D Game day. As someone offering to DM it having the books a bit beforehand would be nice.

RigaMortus2

First Post
What all these sites (and people who got their books early) don't realize, is that they are fake D&D books. The REAL ones come out on June 6th. If you get it any sooner, you got a fake from WotC, and you won't be able to play the game with other people who did get the real books on June 6th or later...

Trust me, I'm on the internet...

Xorn

First Post
Last night I went down to the game shop and paid for my preorder in full. The owner was quite confused, and I just said, "I need you to take this money from me now, so I can sleep tonight. Trust me."

I'm going to be SO ready to run games for his shop on June 7th. :D

Cam Banks

Adventurer
LowSpine said:
Same here. My crime isn't trying to steal or go without paying - it is impatience because I am an obsessed geek.

No, you're still breaking the law, it's just that your reasons for doing so are because you're an obsessed geek. As opposed to a freedom of information radical or something.

Cheers,
Cam

Pbartender

First Post
malraux said:
If I had access to a high quality large page sized color printer and reasonable binding equipment, then the pdfs might negate the need for purchasing the books. And even then, the cost to print and bind on my own wouldn't save me much over the amazon price.

You know, this what what people on both sides of the fence seem to keep forgetting...

In general, a pdf by itself isn't especially useful at the gaming table. For most people, the medium is more trouble than it's worth when compared to an honest-to-goodness book hardcopy. However, converting a pdf file, especially one that's high-resolution, full color and 300+ pages long, into a securely bound paper copy that can stand the rigors of the gaming table usually costs almost as much as it would cost just go out and buy the book to begin with.

Me? I like pdfs for other reasons... the ability to cut and paste from the rules is a godsend for adventure preparation and character creation. On the other hand, I simply can't play a game from an electronic copy of the rules alone.

I admit that on occasion, I've poked through a pirated pdf that was sent to me... I have to say, It's nice as a way to review the material before you commit to a purchase.

But Either way don't keep them long (they take up a lot of valuable drive space)... If I don't like it, it's not worth keeping something I'm never going to use. If I do like it, I want to keep that author and publisher spitting out good stuff, and so I go buy the book or a legitimate pdf at first chance and likewise, the pirated copy's no longer worth keeping.

Of course... I can always pull that same trick by borrowing a copy of the book from a friend who has already bought it. I still get to preview the book, it's a lot less trouble to find a copy to preview, and the end result is the same -- either I buy a legitimate copy or I don't.

In other words, there honestly doesn't seem to be much point to pirating pdfs of game books.

Last edited:

Mirtek

Hero
Ginnel said:
After reading this thread I've just done a quick google and found a link if WotC aren't doing the same I'd be a tad suprised.
Well, given that most of the sites didn't just pop up yesterday and are also pirating stuff which is much more expensive and belonging to companies whith much more power than WotC and Hasbro, I don't think it matter whether WotC looks at these sites or not.

If all the others haven't been able to shut them down, a dwarf like WotC propably won't stop them either

I see the positive side: So now I can while away the time until the 7th with complaing about the pirates and thus have less time to languish for the day when I am receiving my books. So the PDF help through and I don't even need to download them for it :D

Last edited:

Vempyre

Explorer
Mirtek said:
I see the positive side: So now I can while away the time until the 7th with complaing about the pirates and thus have less time to languish for the day when I am receiving my books. So the PDF help through and I don't even need to download them for it :D

Lol good point. Add me to that gang.

Family

First Post
But this could be the flashpoint! PirateCat HIMSELF was recently heard saying...and I quote: "My tolerance for people defending piracy? Zero."

My theory? NinjaCat! Now just hear me out, I know it sounds "silly" but what better way to hide a Ninja but as a Pirate :D It all fits I tell ya...all of it. Now if you'll excuse me I have a tinfoil hat to make.

-Book: "I brought you some supper but if you'd prefer a lecture, I've a few very catchy ones prepped...sin and hellfire... one has lepers."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads