Show us your NPC adventurers

Gold Roger

First Post
Well, I thought it would be nice to have another thread for all homebrewers and DMs around to show of their work, which can then be blatantly stolen, er, can inspire others.

And what better topic is there than adventurers, a concept that, to me at least, lies at the very heart of D&D.

But don't just show us adventurer groups, explain how they fit in your campaign.

What about adventurers in general? Are they so rare the PC's might be the only ones, or so plentyful dungeons are crowded and competition is fierce? Are they all seen as heroes or are they despised, considered worse than mercenarys and scavengers?

I'll give my own answers further down, but for now I want to see yours and not overfill this post.

SkredlitheOgre

Explorer
Harmony Ghosthonor

Not so much an adventurer as someone the NPC might have to come in contact with. She's in prison, so she might end up as a Hannibal Lecter-type villain.

I've done 6 podcasts so far creating NPCs, one three-person adventuring party, and most recently a deity. I find this kind of thing pretty funny, honestly.

Harmony Ghosthonor
NE Gnome Warrior 2

hp: 22
AC 15, touch 12, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +1 Dex, +1 racial)

Str 9, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 11, Cha 19

Offense:
Melee: -1 Gnome hooked hammer (1d6 hammer end/1d4 hook end; x3 hammer end, x4 hooked end)
Ranged: + 3 dagger (1d3/19-20/x2)

Feat: Skill Focus (Bluff)
Skills: Bluff +9, Intimidation +8, Knowledge (local) +5, Knowledge (history) +5, Sense Motive +2

Weapon: Gnome Hooked Hammer (1d6/1d4 - x3/x4)
Armor: Studded Leather

Languages: Common, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Spirit Language, Sylvan

Background
Harmory Ghosthonor was born to a male Gnome bard and a female Gnome warrior. She gained her father's storytelling ability but not his magical ability. From her mother, she gained her spirit and the ability to fight. From somewhere unexplained, she also gained spirits that spoke to her.

At first, her parents passed it off as a child's imaginary friends. As Harmony got older, she still spoke of these spirits and said that they told her to do bad things. Evil things. What started as stealing candy from a store progressed to breaking into the store to steal candy and money and eventually graduated to murder.

Becoming afraid of the spirits, Harmony visited an old witch named Eliva that lived near a mire. Eliva could detect no spirits, but on Harmony's urging, created a small fetish for Harmony to carry that would ward off evil spirits. It didn't work. A visit to a mysterious hermit also led to a failed protective spell. Soon, Harmony accepted the spirits and began following their orders.

As she made her way in the world, Harmony became the ringleader of a gang of human children in the city. She used her singing and storytelling abilities to attract a crowd while the human children picked pockets. Both she and the children made money to live on, but it wasn't enough. The spirits told her she needed more. She listened.

Two days ago, during the murder of a Cleric of Desna, Harmony was caught with bloody dagger in hand. She was taken into custody and is now being held until a magistrate can decide her fate.

Does she actually hear spirits or does she suffer from some form of delusion? No one is sure, but they do know that she is devious and persuasive.

hagor

First Post
For NPCs/adventurers I have to check my notes (will be 3.x though).

However, similar to Steeldragons, I can point you to an older thread (not mine, but I had it bookmarked) helpful in populating the world:
d100-npcs-thread

Hagor

SnowleopardVK

First Post
I've created 3 characters that are half for the purpose of being NPC adventurers, and half for the purpose of being pregens. These are them:

Nesteruk, Half Orc Fighter
Lanliss, Elf Druid
Acholate, Half Elf Sorceress

I'm probably going to round out the group with a human, and maybe one or more of a dwarf, gnome, and halfling next, and hit on the more heal-focused divine classes than Druid. Especially since I may be playing one of these as a healbot/meatshield soon to make up for a shortage of players.

Gold Roger

First Post
Well, time to lay down my cards.

Adventurers in the Kingdom of Nemassa are seen as a mixed blessing. Useful for the rich and mighty, effective in collecting bounties (and thus keeping down dangerous criminals) and source of some great heroes, they are also often fools that cause more trouble than they solve and stir up things they shouldn't.

To keep the downside of inevitable adventurers as minimal as possible, adventurers must be officially recognized and declare their membership of a known group through a displayed symbol, when "on business". Recognized adventurers are lizensed to carry out bountyhunting and mercenary work and can gain passage to areas otherwhise closed from citizens (such as the keep at the borderlands and passage to the caves of chaos).

In addition, adventurers have their own legal status, though this doesn't overwrite the priviledges of nobles, recognized clergy or dwarfs (yes, dwarfs have their own unigue legal status in my setting)

The Steelfalcons are an example of a newly founded group (between level 1 and 5, no matter the edition).

The group has no real leader. The boisterous (and not very wise!) warpriest Palhan (human cleric lvl 1 CN of a homebrewed god- any god of battle works here) thinks himself as leader and hero, but no one follow his lead.

The simple instinctual warrior "Dog" (elf barbarian lvl1 N), a simpleton who grew up an orphan in the slums, and the professional delver Golan (dwarf rogue level 1 LN) usually follow the lead of the groups last two members.

The mysterious foreign knight Abarista takes charge of most combat situations, but otherwhise keeps her counsel and agenda to herself. In truth she is an initiate of the Knights of the Talon, a mostly benign knight order, whose inner circles are sworn to Pazuzu and her soul belongs to the Demon Prince, she just doesn't know it yet (human, slightly higher level than the others, whatever class works for a knight whose order follows Pazuzu, N).

The beautiful seemingly human Lia guides the groups actions, through knowledge and charm, but seems rather useless in combat. Still, she has displayed suprising abilities and it's odd you never see her without a hat. Lia is actually a spy for a neighbouring country and more powerful than the rest (bard 5 NE). To disguise her inhuman features she wears a hat of disguise (she's of a hombrewed race, but tiefling works to).

I've created the group for an upcomming campaign as a hopefully interesting early challenge. Depending on the players action this group would arrive at a site before or after the pc's, but always with the same objective. A real battle could spell mutual destruction (and loss of her guise for Lia the spy), so both sides will have to find an agreement.

Unless the players manage to whipe out the falcons, they are the kind of guys that keep cropping up. Palhan, Groran and "Dog" aren't really suited for anything but adventuring and could make rivals or even friends for PC's. Lia is villain material and as a character avoiding combat just might become a recurring antagonist even after being exposed. Lastly Arbarista could go any way. What is her quest for the Knights of the Talon and will she embrace evil as she advances in rank and rite of her order?

Well, that's a bit of a wall of text :angel:

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
My Campaign is set in the ruins of a large city. The king only controls a quarter of the city. There are rebels, independent knights, and street gangs. Many many street gangs. The PCs are one such gang. If they don't come up wit ha name next session, I'm just going to give them one.
Some of the gangs are more like adventuring parties than not:
The Knights of the Fallen Stars : 2 paladins, avenger, cleric, fighter. Half are tielflings. They have a very chivalrous ideology, but are primarily monster slayers. They defend the peaceful part of he town from high level threats.

Witchlight Marauders
They are a street gang, 2 warlocks, cleric, swordmage. 2 tieflings 1/2elf & 1/2ling. They mostly fight orcs or fey. Despite being evil, they tend to put the best face on actions, and try and do things diplomatically. Currently well liked by PCs.

Kelwan the Prince of Swords. has a small retinue including a PC from a previous campaign. Epic level, wanders on and off plane. May cause world shaking fallout when convenient. Just cause, sometimes **it flows down hill. Why wouldn't the mortals on a world try and keep track of epic personages?

kitsune9

Adventurer
Here's my cleric for the Carrion Crown AP. She's currently 2nd level, but I have customized rules involved with her. She's a Pathfinder character on a 12 point build.

ClaudiaTipestri.jpg

Wycen

Explorer
12 point build?! Gah!

In the sandbox game I'm in we used a 1st evel cleric NPC right out of the book, but since our PC cleric consistently doesn't show up, the NPC has made it to level 2, though I don't know if the stats are the same. Her name changed cause the DM forgot what he said the first time we brought her along.

Remove ads