Shrink Item

Dandu

First Post
The text for this spell states that a word of command can return the object to normal. What action would this be?

Incidentally, am thinking of taking a barrel with open ends, shrinking it into cloth, and tying it around a character's neck incase someone goes after his shrunken hat. The plan is to unbind the barrel to form cover. Any forseeable problems with this?

What about turning barriers into handkerchiefs and stuffing then up sleeves?

Last edited:

Jimlock

Adventurer
Objects changed by a shrink item spell can be returned to normal composition and size merely by tossing them onto any solid surface or by a word of command from the original caster

hmmm....

Even though...it isn't dismissible (D), perhaps it should be treated as such?

SRD

(D) Dismissible
If the Duration line ends with "(D)," you can dismiss the spell at will. You must be within range of the spell’s effect and must speak words of dismissal, which are usually a modified form of the spell’s verbal component. If the spell has no verbal component, you can dismiss the effect with a gesture. Dismissing a spell is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

or perhaps like this?

Rules Compendium p84

Command
Command activation means that a user speaks a command word and the item activates. No other special knowledge is needed. The command word can be a real word, but when this is the case, the user runs the risk of activating the item accidentally by speaking the word in normal conversation. More often, the command word is a nonsensical word, or a word or phrase from a language no longer in common use.
A user can’t activate a command item in the area of a silence spell or if unable to speak.
Activating a command item takes the same amount of time as the casting time of the spell that the item’s power duplicates. If the power doesn’t duplicate a spell, activating the item is a standard action unless its description says otherwise. Command activation doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity.

Rules Compendium p8

Actions in Combat

Command(2)=Standard Action, AoO=No

(2)Activating this sort of magic item takes the same amount of time as casting the spell the item’s power duplicates. If the power doesn’t duplicate a spell, activating the item is a standard action unless its description says otherwise. See note 16 for spells that have 1-round casting times.

Can't think of something else...

Last edited:

Jimlock

Adventurer
Shrink Item=Trasmutation

Enlarge Person=(D)
REduce Person=(D)
Alter Self=(D)
Polymorph=(D)
Gaseous Form=(D)
Statue=(D)
Iron body=(D)
Polymorph Any Object=(D)
Shapechange=(D)

I guess they just missed it...B-)

Last edited:

anest1s

First Post
Why everyone thinks that a command word for shrink item is somehow equal with the command word for activating an item? I mean, you have already used a standard action to cast the spell...it would be logical that you just say the word without waiting for a spell effect to take place. Because it has already done so...

Jimlock

Adventurer
Why everyone thinks that a command word for shrink item is somehow equal with the command word for activating an item? I mean, you have already used a standard action to cast the spell...it would be logical that you just say the word without waiting for a spell effect to take place. Because it has already done so...

I think the question is the other way around. Why shouldN'T it be?

Jimlock

Adventurer
Why shouldN'T it be view as a (D) action? (all transmutations behave that way, read above)

Why shouldN'T it be view as a command word? I don't see any difference.

Mind you, both (D) & Command word are the same exact action:

A standard action that does not provoke AoO.

Remove ads