D&D 5E Shrinking the PC's

EldonGoodbarrel

First Post
I'm currently working on an encounter where the party is shrunk down in a garden, or forest setting. To about the size a squirrel could be used as a mount. I have to go through the monster manual creation section to figure out stats for the relatively enlarged woodland creatures. And figure out DC's and stuff like that. I've never done anything quite like this, so any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:

SunGold

First Post
Maybe I'm just terribly lazy, but if I was going to do this I'd browse Appendix B of the DMG for monsters of the appropriate CR/location, and then just re-skin them/tweak their powers as necessary for the flavor of the setting. An owlbear becomes a badger, etc.

Cyan Wisp

Explorer
Well, what will predate on them? Normal sized (to us) owls, hawks, eagles, foxes, weasels, snakes, cats, spiders, even hedgehogs. Luckily, D&D has all sorts of giant versions of some of these things and 5e monsters are super easy to reskin if you need something special!

So Giant spiders, Giant owls, Giant snakes, Giant eagles (without the intelligence), Giant foxes (as dire wolves), Giant cats (lions, tigers), Giant hedgehogs (maybe giant badgers with some spiky defences), Giant weasels. All doable without changing much, if anything.

Others could be done by scaling up one or two sizes, so tiny becomes medium, small becomes large, medium becomes large or huge. So...

stirges as blood-sucking pteranodons
gnomes as ogres (but smarter and nicer)
kobolds as large-sized lizardfolk
orcs as fomorians (no evil eye)
vine blights as shambling mounds

Sounds like fun!

Remove ads