Sialia Doodles, Again

Interesting. I'm so rusty, I'm not sure I can keep this up for very long. It's kind of fun shaking out the cobwebs to see what's here, though.

I don't think you'd need to keep it up for long...even if you just submitted what you have here, it could possibly go into the magazine Kobold Quarterly, or onto the website (it's a very active website, with gaming stuff almost daily).

Wolfgang's very kind and approachable, btw.

Sialia

First Post
a several days search leads here

I've been searching for a few days for a way to draw Kobolds that is not a rip off of John Kovalics most excellent work. I have downloaded zillions of pictures of other people's kobolds, and sketched about 60 kobold heads, none of which manage to have both the "classic" kobold shape from the manual, and simultaneously the personality of Kovalics (which bear little resembence structurally, but are oh so expressive). Most of what came out is not worth uploading--either they look like lizardmen, dog people, or Berenstain Bears.

But I kind of liked this particular breed of fail. Ok, so they're not recognizably kobolds. Maybe they are something else.

Attachments

• kobold-war-canoe.jpg
    kobold-war-canoe.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 63
  • heads.jpg
    heads.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 59

Sialia

First Post
I can't take credit for this one

This one was drawn by my four year old. I am in awe. I don't know if he was copying something he saw somewhere else or if this is all original, but I adore it, so I gotta share.

Attachments

• Mr.Screamy'sShark.jpg
    Mr.Screamy'sShark.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 62

Sialia

First Post
Still more efforts

Still not there yet. About ready to give up on this and move on.
Every time I figure I've got a way to give these things some personality, I look into them and realize some other cartoonist has been there first. All of the ones in this set that I like, look too much to me like someone else's work.

Still trying to figure out what "Sialia's" style is.

Hmmph.

Attachments

• more-kobolds.jpg
    more-kobolds.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 54

Sialia

First Post
because after all, a winning smile is hard to beat

Sigh.

Attachments

• Kobold-wears-a-Lavalava-well.jpg
    Kobold-wears-a-Lavalava-well.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 49

Sialia

First Post
This one is for my sweetie, who's birthday is today. Won't he be surprised?

Attachments

• surprise.jpg
    surprise.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 61

Sialia

First Post
Hmm . . that is interesting. I was not aware of Yipples. The write up seems designed to make them strangely useless for such an wonderful plot device, though. Someone is just not trying hard enough. There are so many possibilities with these things.
My sweetie says he will never look at the "let's go out to the lobby and have ourselves a snack" animation the same way again.

Last edited:

Remove ads