D&D 4E Sight unseen - what are your plans for 4E?

Sight unseen - what are your plans for 4E?

• I definitely am switching to 4E.

Votes: 30 10.6%
  • I will probably switch to 4E, but will evaluate it.

Votes: 76 26.9%
  • I'm not leaning either way and will decide after evaluation

Votes: 65 23.0%
  • I will probably note switch to 4E, but will evaluate it.

Votes: 56 19.8%
  • I definitely will stick with another version of D&D.

Votes: 38 13.4%
  • Something else (I play another system, I don't play at all, etc.)

Votes: 18 6.4%

Roadkill101

Explorer
I'm in the something else category. I run games using a system I developed for my own play. I've been using it a few years prior to the release of D&D 3.0.

Having said that, I'll do with 4E like I did with 3E, I'll buy the core books, look them over and a run a few sessions, just to see what I think of it.

~Johnny~

First Post
Honestly, the feature that has me most excited is the virtual gaming table. If that's any good, I will be all over this new edition. All my RPG time in the past couple of hears has been spent playing via IRC or PBP. If this is a way to do that more easily, it would fulfill my wildest dreams.

And besides, I want to read the new rules just out of curiosity. Game design is interesting to me even when I don't get to spend much time playing a game, and Wizards R&D is second to none.

RFisher

Explorer
OK. Scratch my previous answer.

I like the core rules part of the core→supplements→repeat cycle. I have confidence that Wizards isn't going to put out something that is complete garbage. I'm in the middle of the "system matters"↔"system doesn't matter" continuum, so any decent system + a good group = a good game.

I think it is pretty certain that I'll buy the 4e PHB. I think it is also pretty certain that I won't buy much--if anything--beyond core.

But "switching" still doesn't apply. I'll always play lots of systems, & I think I'll always play multiple editions of D&D.

The only questions are whether I'll want to DM 4e & whether I'll buy the MM & DMG.

dwetzel

Explorer
Until I see the detail, nothing. And it would have to be a very significant change for me to lay down money. It would have to do something on the order of doing away with classes or having a non-Vancian magic system; something of that magnitude. Like the change from 2ed to 3ed. If it's just 3.75 ed, I'm not interested.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I just started a 3.5 campaign, and I'm not switching that. I'll take a look at the 4e books, but almost certainly won't buy them. I might lift a few ideas as I did from Modern and various other sources, but I'm sticking with 3.5. I've got a ton of 3.5 stuff, and I like it.

Not only that, the first words on the new mechanics look horrible. They're talking about making fighters more like mages. I'd rather see mages be more like fighters (i. e. warlock). And with the supposed emphasis on "power centers", why no core psionics? And I actually kind of dislike the idea of making character prep simpler. I like spending hours on prep. It's fun!

Too soon to tell. I'm very upset about the method of the announcement, and I don't feel a need for a new edition.

That said, there are clearly things that can be tweaked in the current rules. Some of the digital options appear to have potential ... yet I can't see paying a monthly fee to access them.

I'll wait and see. I've been tapering off D&D purchases. I may buy just the core rulebooks, or quit buying D&D stuff altogether. With a massive investment in 3.X products, plus all my prior edition stuff I have enough for several lifetimes.

Shadeydm

First Post
None of the poll choices for me.

I will be buying the the core books for sure. Right now im in the early stages of a 3.5 homebrew campaign which will hopefully go to level 20. Once that game ends I am hoping to run either the AoW or ST AP which are both levles 1-20 and 3.5. After my homebrew and the AP are done I will probably be ready to seriously consider a 4E campaign.

We also have multiple DMs so this could potentially takes 2-4 years to transpire. If the 4E rule set really sets itself apart as a simpler and more elegant system than 3.5 its very possible one of the other DM will start a 4 E game before i get around to it. If a Greyhawk Campaign Setting Book gets released that would stand a good chance of accelerating my timeline for using 4E.

I really cannot comment on the lure of DnD Insider until I can check it out but it seems unlikely that I am going to want to shell out $120.00/year for it.

Winterthorn

Monster Manager
I'm in the middle... But maybe I'll buy the 4E core books and switch that material into my 3.5 games! ;) Even better: there's an SRD coming for 4E - maybe I'll just use that material and then all's well that switches to 3.5 well! :D

Remove ads