Sign the Petition for a 4 hour TTT!

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Movies here always have intermissions. It's damn annoying if ya ask me.

That said, I have no longings to watch a four hour movie. I'm not even sure I want to see the Extended Fellowship (there's only one added scene I really want to see anyways).

Ranger REG

Explorer
Henry said:

The movie and the DVD are packaged for two different audiences. Those who complain about the movie's length are probably NOT going to buy and extended DVD. OTOH, the fans who will see this movie will buy that extended DVD (most will not just rent it), JUST to have Peter's full, no-holds-barred-stick-to-the-wall director's cut.
And on that note, let us take a moment to celebrate and raise our glasses to the genius that invented the Pause Button on those video players.

Give me a 4-hour DVD movie, not a 4-hour theater movie. :cool:

And that statement regarding cow pasture ... eww. On the bright side, my statement about the empty drink cup sound a lot less gross now, huh? LOL!!! :p

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
I'm still waiting to see any link to any story that actually leads me to think this is true. I've searched all the major LoTR websites, and not found anything yet.

If you recall, the exact same thing happened for Fellowship. There was a rumor of a 4.5 hour version, there was a petition, and later it came out that there was no four hour version. Heck there were even rumors they shot the Bombadil scenes.

If a four hour version exists, it is most likely a version that was edited ages ago to use as a starting point.

It's my understanding that the print is practically locked down at this point, and has been for some time. It's my understanding that even TRoTK is pretty much in fine cut stage (minus much of the FX, no doubt).

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
For Peter Jackson and his Works

I wish to say this ...

We Gamers stand in long lines at Conventions like Gen Con and Origins (even those who Preregistered, often have to stand in long lines ...)

We wait, hour upon hour, for that special game to start.

And when we play, we patiently wait for our chance to roleplay, our chance to act, our chance to participate in the fun.

Gamers appreciate the value of patience ... and they appreciate the necessity of patience, whether they are playing in a Home Game in the basement, an RPGA Game at an Authorized Event, or a massive board game battle at Origins.

Now, with that having been said ...

Peter Jackson made a good film.
And what he had to say and show, was worth listening to and watching, from beginning to end.
I think it is quite reasonable to assume that if Peter Jackson had more to say and show - and could not say and show because of limits imposed by the realities of the Theater - then that is also worth listening to and watching also.

Thus, I look forward - I look forward very greatly - to the Extended DVD of FOTR.

I have faith in Peter Jackson.
I was a doubter, before the FOTR film ... a skeptic, and I when in and watched that film, and I learned to believe in the magic that Peter Jackson could create.

So, if Peter Jackson wishes to create a 4 hour film of TTT, then by God I will have faith that this man can create something worthy of 4 hours of my time.

And as a Gamer, I appreciate the idea of patience ... and if patience is needed to sit and watch a 4 hour film, then I will exert that patience.
I have sat and played 4 hour games aplenty and to spare ... there is nothing difficult about sitting in a theater for 4 hours!
Especially when the magic of Peter Jackson is filling that theater, and sweeping me up and away in it's story.

So now you know why I signed that petition.
I want Peter Jackson to do it his way, and have his way - be it a 2 hour film or a 5 hour film.

I hope you will sign the petition.
I can hope.
I know that many, if not most of you, enjoyed FOTR.
I know that many of you, if not most, think very highly of Peter Jackson.

Why not have faith in him now?
Help him to show us the story he intended.
Help him to fully actualize the magic he wants to bring to the Silver Screen.
Give him the chance to bring us his epic vision of TTT, and let nothing stand in the way.

I can only make a case, not make demands.
However, I have signed the petition, and I stand with Peter Jackson, and I have faith that if he creates a 4 hour film, it will be worth all the time, money, and effort (and cramping in those theater seats) to go and see that film.

Edena_of_Neith

Staffan

Legend
One thing to consider for those who thought that FOTR was slow in parts: There's a whole lot more things you can cut out of FOTR that aren't vital to the story (especially a lot of the stuff happening in the Shire). The Two Towers has a lot more stuff happening.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Edena, don't get me wrong. I have faith he could pull off a 4-hour movie.

But I also know he has to consider the mainstream audience, those who have not picked up a book written by Tolkien. I mean if you can show that the fan audience outnumbers the mainstream, then he should do it and you'll have to convince local movie theaters to air a 4-hour movie in its entirety.

While Tolkien Purists still won't see the movie that excluded Tom Bombadil, Peter Jackson made a fine adaptation of Tolkien's work for all of us to see.

I have faith in him, but I and probably anyone over 30 do not have faith in our bladders.

Last edited:

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
TheOneRing.net is reporting a rumor that the final running time for the Two Towers is 3 hrs, 14 minutes. The battle of Helm's Deep alone is 50 minutes.

orbitalfreak

First Post
Signed up here too.

Intermission or not, I would love to see this movie done the best way possible. If a 3-hr movie can do it justice, then I'm all for it. If it needs an extra 30-60 min, I'd prefer that too.

Either way, I'm not gonna miss this movie. Still kicking myself for missing LotR in theaters... :(

Remove ads