• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Silence counterspell?

Wolffenjugend

First Post
Can someone with the 2nd-lvl Silence spell simply ready himself to cast it within 5 feet of an enemy as soon as the enemy attempts a spell? Since the action is readied, the silence spell would go off first and the enemy spellcaster would automatically lose the spell (assuming the spell had verbal components) since the silence was readied to the BEGINNING of spellcasting. Since the silence isn't put ON the spellcaster, there's no save and no SR.

If this is the case, then isn't silence much better than counterspelling? Isn't this a little overpowered? I mean, a cleric just memorizes 3-4 silence spells and he can effectively nullify an enemy spellcaster with no chance of failure (assuming the cleric wins initiative). A 3rd-lvl cleric could (almost) automatically screw any 20th-lvl spellcaster...

Am I missing something?

Wands may still be used, IIRC.

Also, someone please correct me on this, spellcasting (with verbal components) is impossible without the prior application of the Silent Spell feat. So, if a wizard attempts to cast a spell but he can't (because the area is silent), the spell is not cast, but it is not counterspelled nor lost. It just didn't happen.

Other than that, yes, it is a valid tactic IMO.

AR

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Wolffenjugend said:
Can someone with the 2nd-lvl Silence spell simply ready himself to cast it within 5 feet of an enemy as soon as the enemy attempts a spell?

That works just fine.

A 3rd-lvl cleric could (almost) automatically screw any 20th-lvl spellcaster...

Am I missing something?

Well, most of my high-level casters carry a Silent Dispel Magic or two for just that reason.

But the 3rd level cleric might find that the 20th level spellcaster's 16th level barbarian cohort isn't too inconvenienced by the Silence spell. And then the 20th level caster only has to walk twenty feet or so and cast again...

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Altamont Ravenard said:
Wands may still be used, IIRC.

Spell Trigger: Spell trigger activation is similar to spell completion, but it’s even simpler. No gestures or spell finishing is needed, just a special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know, and a single word that must be spoken.

-Hyp.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Wolffenjugend said:
Can someone with the 2nd-lvl Silence spell simply ready himself to cast it within 5 feet of an enemy as soon as the enemy attempts a spell?

Am I missing something?

One thing is that any wizard within 5ft of a cleric has normally got more significant things to worry about than whether he might be counterspelled.

Another thing is that if you are readying and action there is normally some indication to onlookers that you are doing so (DMG p17, examples of suggested vivid descriptions). So if you are a wizard and there is a cleric a few feet away who "is clutching his holy symbol and looking at you, his lips pursed and ready to speak" you might be careful about your next action. (and if it is non-vivid description it is still spelled out in the first paragraph of the "NPC Actions" on that page. PC's should be able to notice readied actions and take account of them when making their decisions.)

Cheers

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Yes, that tactic is allowed, but it probably will not work more than once. There are a number of ways for the victim to get around it.

If he has any Silent spells, as many casters do for emergencies, he can cast straight through the silence on his next action. Or if he has a Quickened spell prepared, he can just step out of the silence and use it immediately.

Readying to interrupt a spell is limiting, because it doesn't allow a response to magic item usage. If the victim steps outside the silence and then lets loose with a wand of fireball, the cleric does not get to respond. (This is even easier if your campaign includes Silenced wands and scrolls.)

When the victim is not under time pressure, he can just run his enemy out of prepared silences, using only his low-level slots. Repeatedly try to cast magic missile or ray of frost, until you succeed. Then unload with your one daily meteor swarm.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Plane Sailing said:
One thing is that any wizard within 5ft of a cleric has normally got more significant things to worry about than whether he might be counterspelled.

No, Silence has a range of Long. He can stand 500 feet away, and centre it 5 feet from the wizard.

-Hyp.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Hypersmurf said:
No, Silence has a range of Long. He can stand 500 feet away, and centre it 5 feet from the wizard.

Of course, it is just my sleep-befuddled eyes misreading the text I was quoting.

My second (and main) point still stands though.

Cheers

Wolffenjugend

First Post
Sure, cohorts/minions and other magic items (w/o verbal command words) can be used, but I was just sorta surprised how effective this tactic would be. A spellcaster might realize someone is readying to counter them, but that still means the spellcaster is limited in his options (i.e. not cast a spell or take out the person readying). A wizard who burns his low-level spells just to exhaust a cleric's silence spells is probably gunna be toast by the time he's accomplished that task.

I didn't really address Silent Spell b/c it's been my experience that no one ever takes it. Now I see why they do. But even so, burning a feat and a prepared Silent Dispel Magic is pretty wasteful on the whole.

Interesting. Guess what I'm throwing at the party's wizard next session :)

Hypersmurf said:
Spell Trigger: Spell trigger activation is similar to spell completion, but it’s even simpler. No gestures or spell finishing is needed, just a special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know, and a single word that must be spoken.

-Hyp.

Why do I remember that it was ruled that you could use a wand in a silenced area? Must be getting confused with something else.

AR

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads