• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E Simple Combat (1e style without some of the more complicated features)

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I'm attempting to create a simpler combat system based on 1e but not so dependent on the subtle rules. There are a few concepts from 3e that I like that I am keeping. I'm looking for feedback on how this will affect the game so I can anticipate it before I put the rules to the test (I will be running a 4-5 session play-test campaign). Please keep negative comments like "this is a horrible idea, why don't you just use the RAW?!" to yourself. Here are the basics:

1) Each combat round is divided into 10 segments of six seconds each.
2) Determine surprise using Alertness (Spot and Listen) checks; this is versus Stealth (Hide and Move Silently) checks if applicable. In a surprise round, each aware combatant gets 1 segment worth of actions (can be an attack, move, one segment spell, starting a spell etc.). Characters can only be surprised by opponents with an equal or higher Dexterity modifier.
3) In a regular combat round, each combatant gets one action. This can be a move (1e movement rates), attack, spell, grapple, delay, using a magic item, drinking potion, or similar action.
4) Actions must be declared each round before initiative is rolled. DM decides monster actions secretly, then players announce actions.
5) Initiative is rolled each round on 1d6 with no modification to the roll. The roll determines the segment of the round each side acts on with the exception of spells. Spellcasters begin casting on the first segment of the round (also the first segment of casting), and complete casting whenever the spell is done (using 1e casting times). (This latter idea is an idea I borrowed from Hackmaster that I liked, although Hackmaster may have gotten it from a previous edition of D&D and my mind is too scattered to remember.)
6) Actions are declared and initiative re-rolled for each round thereafter.

Some notable exceptions to 3e rules.
1) Attacks of opportunity are more limited to special actions like grappling. It will probably be hard to get out of that habit, but they are complicated and I would prefer to lessen their impact. I've merged Tumble with Balance and Escape Artist (as I've merged other skills, see here so no complaints that Tumble is now useless. :)
2) There are no readied actions, although characters can delay and allow others to act first. If they choose to "re-enter initiative," the earliest they can do so is at the end of a segment after all others acting in that segment have acted.
3) Movement rates are changed to reflect 1e rates.
4) Attacks rates follow 1e rules, modified to taste. At +6 BAB you get an extra attack every other round. At +11 BAB you get two attacks per round. At +16 BAB you get three attacks every other round. This keeps players from having to keep track of different attack bonuses.
5) Power attack is a flat -4 penalty for a +4 bonus to damage (+6 for two-handed weapons).
6) Characters can basically have whatever equipment they wish to have out each round, but they retain the same equipment for the whole round. This is a nuance of rules that I do not think adds much to the game. A fighter with a two-handed sword strapped to his back can wield a longsword and shield one round, then stow the shield and sheath the longsword to swing the two-handed sword on the next round. I might say swapping your equipment array delays your initiative by 1 or 2 segments though... maybe 1 segment per piece of equipment swapped.

Retentions of the 3e rules.
1) Grappling rules are retained.
2) Tripping rules are retained. Getting up from prone delays your action 1 segment of activity (on the character's next initiative) and provokes an attack of opportunity. Spellcasters cannot cast while prone as per 1e, but otherwise prone penalties similar to 3e.
3) Disarming rules are retained. Picking up a dropped weapon delays your action 1 segment of activity and provokes attacks of opportunity.
4) Overrun rules are retained.
5) Quickened spells and spells with a duration of 1 swift action can be cast in 1 segment either before or after another spell. This is the only way to cast two spells per round (I've imposed an effective ceiling of 2 spells per round).
6) Feinting takes your whole action except in the case of Improved Feint, in which case it delays your initiative by 2 segments (the number is not set it stone).
7) Bull Rush rules are retained.

Note: I don't intend to use this system very much for levels of play higher than 10th. The game gets a bit silly after that point (in any edition) IMHO. You might disagree but this is not the thread to discuss it. I mention it only as context to consider when thinking about these rules.

I think the system is simpler and a bit more intuitive. The simple notion of one round, one action is very appealing to me at least.

Remove ads