• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Simple, solid, flexible, rpg rules system for adult beginners.

innerdude

Legend
True enough, RE: Legends of Anglerre. It doesn't help that there are multiple magic systems and setting presented in one book. Savage Worlds has a lot of fiddly bits, for my taste. Not at many as either WotC version of D&D, to be sure.

The new FATE Core book is that "stripped down" version. Although there's an even more stripped down version in the works called "FATE Accelerated Edition", I don't see that as good for sustained play.

Getting aspects is one of those things that seems harder for people who have played traditional rpgs than for newbies. There seems to be a bit of "it can't be that simple" going on.

You know what's interesting, though? There's actually TWO relatively viable, MAINSTREAM systems to recommend to Sticknia that generally meet his criteria. How cool is that? It's not like we're recommending some totally-off-the-beaten-path, super-indie system that exactly 5 people other than the creator have ever heard of.

(Incidentally, I've also heard good things about HARP and Risus, just haven't had a chance to check them out.)

Good times to be an RPG player (though bad times it seems for the publishers who have to compete for attention). :)

Last edited:

Ratskinner

Adventurer
You know what's interesting, though? There's actually TWO relatively viable, MAINSTREAM systems to recommend to Sticknia that generally meet his criteria. How cool is that? It's not like we're recommending some totally off the beaten path, super-indie system that 5 people other than the creator have ever heard of.

Good times to be an RPG player (though bad times it seems for the publishers who have to compete for attention). :)

You're right. That is cool. ...buy you a beer, if only the forum had a bar. :)

innerdude

Legend
Hey don't want to derail the thread entirely here, but I do have a question for you [MENTION=6688937]Ratskinner[/MENTION] - What's the general "feel" for FATE game? For example, using D&D 3.x as a "baseline," Savage Worlds (at least for fantasy) feels very much like a fast and loose, quick-playing game of BECMI with more interesting combats and a much better-designed core mechanic, with the same sort of "free form" feel to out-of-combat stuff.

How does FATE actually work in play? What kind of a game "feel" does it generate? If this would be better for a new thread, I can start one, or if you have a minute and feel like PM-ing me. :)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
How does FATE actually work in play? What kind of a game "feel" does it generate? If this would be better for a new thread, I can start one, or if you have a minute and feel like PM-ing me. :)

The feel of fate is a little difficult to describe, in large part because it is more in the GM and players' hands than in many games.

He mentioned the Aspects - those descriptive phrases are the source of bonuses and penalties for your skill checks. If a character is trying to barrel down a hall filled with enemies, he may invoke his "Built like a tank" Aspect to get a bonus on the roll, for example. And the bonus is definitely a meaningful thing. So, the players have great incentive to try to invoke the Aspects of themselves, their opponents, and the area a great deal. The GM, in turn, is invoking the very same things to create bonuses of the NPCs, or create complications.

The result is a story that focuses on the phrases you use to describe the people, places, and things. Whatever you choose to call out as description becomes the focus of the action. If the room is a "warehouse full of boxes", the players are going to try to *use* those boxes to advantage, because that description is also the mechanical hook they have on play in that room. If the Aspects you create follow a theme, so will the story.

The aspects of the characters themselves are the ones that persist from place to place, encounter to encounter, so they'll be the ones invoked most. So, basically, FATE ends up feeling like a story about how the characters' traits drive them through the world. For example, my Dresden Files character has the aspects, "Too clever by half" and "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave..." So, the story is in part about being inextricably entangled in things, trying to scheme and plot your way out... though often with Wile E Coyote results, because these themes are getting repeatedly invoked, both for and against me.

TreChriron

Adventurer
Supporter
I think FATE is more abstract than most are willing to admit. I personally think you should keep it SUPER simple and try out a more "classic" approach to gaming.

Green Ronin's Dragon Age RPG boxed set seems like the perfect intro to RPGs. Straight forward stats, simple approach, 3d6 roll... And a nifty setting to boot. Has an introductory adventure!

For an "old school" approach with some new polish, check out Spears of the Dawn, from Sine Nomine publishing. African themed fantasy setting, very similar to basic D&D with simple skill system, fast character creation and this publisher focuses on Sand Box gaming, so there are plenty of tools to create encounters and it includes ready to go maps, etc. Give 'em that early days of D&D feeling! :) Also, a very simple game.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I think FATE is more abstract than most are willing to admit.

The concepts can be stated in an abstract manner. If you write Aspects about abstract concepts (say, "Crazy like a fox!") then their use is abstract. But, if you write physical descriptions, their use is pretty concrete.

You want to go barreling down a hall full of bad guys? Look at your sheet. What are your Aspects? Hey, one is, "Built like a truck"? Great! Give the GM a fate point, and get +2 on the roll. Simple! (this is "invoking" an aspect for a bonus)

Or, you trying to creep along a rickety rope bridge? Your GM looks at your sheet. Hey, one of your aspects is "Built like a truck"! You're clearly a solid, heavy dude. If you agree to have the bridge bust up as you go across, the GM will give you a Fate Point! (this is the GM "compelling" an aspect, for a complication).

You want to sneak up on a guy? Look at the Aspects the GM has written for the room. Hey, one is, "It's pitch black in here"! Great! Give the GM a fate point, and get +2 on the roll. Simple!

You running away from a bad guy? Look at the aspects the GM has written for the room. Hm, nothing directly applies. But wait, one of them is "Warehouse full of crates"! Great! Give the GM a Fate point, and make an attack roll. If you succeed, you now can create the Aspect, "Floor cluttered with tumbled and broken crates", which you now tag so the bad guy gets a -2 on his Athletics check to chase you.

Not really abstract at all.

Last edited:

Shadowsmith

Explorer
I would argue in favor of FATE as well. It is one of my preferred game systems. I love Spirit of the Century. But, I admit, FATE isn't really a light system except when compared to D&D.

But if you want a dirt simple system there is Bare Bones Fantasy. Drivethrustuff has it for $10 as a pdf or $14 for pdf and softcover. This is a light system. In 84 pages, you get a system, creatures, adventure creation guidelines, and a basic setting.

CharlesDM

First Post
I'd recommend Risus, PDQ or Barbarians of Lemuria. Risus and PDQ are available in several versions and are designed from the ground up to be simple and flexible. Barbarians of Lemuria is designed for Swords and Sorcery, but the core mechanics can be easily boiled down and used for a variety of different genres.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
(snip) Green Ronin's Dragon Age RPG boxed set seems like the perfect intro to RPGs. Straight forward stats, simple approach, 3d6 roll... And a nifty setting to boot. Has an introductory adventure! (snip)

Another advantage of Dragon Age is that you have the two Tabletop episodes on YouTube that your players can watch before the game to give them a feel for how it plays.

Remove ads