Simplifying NPC Spellcasters

One of my main problems with 5E is the way it treats NPC or monster spellcasters, in that it treats them exactly like PC spellcasters. Managing spell lists and spell slots is fine for PCs, since they only have one character to manage. But a DM might be running, for example, one main spellcaster bad guy, two acolytes with their own spell lists, plus any other NPCs/monsters around. It's a lot of brainpower needed for the DM to keep track of all those spells, especially since some spells may be coming from separate sources - homebrew spells or just spells from books like Xanathar's or something on the DMs Guild.

Looking back, I think 4E did magical NPCs the right way: a short list of combat powers written up in the stat block itself. So that's how I'm going to build spellcasters from now on. Now, a lot of my casters will also have ritual books, with actual spells, but since ritual spells take way too long to cast in combat, it won't really come up in play as much, at least not while I'm juggling stat blocks.

I like cantrips, since a creature throwing magic around every turn just feels magical. Some recharge abilities are cool, too. Like, for the below goblin, if I wanted a higher-level version, I'd probably throw in an equivalent of Burning Hands or similar on a 5-6 recharge.

I'll start with a goblin pyromancer, since I'm actually going to be using one of those in my upcoming game.

Goblin Pyromancer (standard goblin stats except for the following changes)
Dex 10, Int 14
Initiative +4
Arcana +6

Actions
Firebolt. Ranged spell attack, +4 to hit. Range 120. Hit: 6 (1d10) fire damage.

Burning Grasp. Melee spell attack, +4 to hit. Hit: 3 (1d4) fire damage. Dex save DC 12 or take another 3 (1d4) fire damage at the start of the target's next turn.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I do something similar to 4e, I choose a single spell of each level and just note down the description of that in a simplified form. For instance, that goblin pyromancer might be a 1st level sorcerer with Charisma bonus +2 so they end up like this:

Fire Bolt, at will, +4 ranged spell attack, 1d10 fire.
Burning Hands, OO*, Dex 12 (half damage), 15-foot-cone, 3d6 fire.

If they were a 3rd level sorcerer and I wanted to use metamagic then I would include:
Twinned Fire Bolt, OOO*, +4 ranged spell attack against 2 targets, 1d10 fire.

I normally don't worry about using heightened spells instead focusing on a spell of the specific level so for the pyromancer I'd add scorching blast rather than worrying about using a level 2 slot for burning hands. Makes it a lot easier to run and really, most of their spells in a spell list I'm not going to use anyway. You can even adjust it with things like Mage Armour, give them a better AC and reduce the number of spell slots for burning hands by 1.

*Signifies the number of uses in the encounter, if using paper I just tick them off as used though it may not even be necessary in many fights unless they only have access to a single spell slot.

S'mon

Legend
I run 5e casters like I old school D&D casters - there are a few obvious spells most use, for them I may list the damage (lightning bolt 8d6) but generally these are easy to memorise. 5e casters are even easier than 1e-2e because they're likely to be repeatedly casting their best attack spells, like lightning bolt & fireball, which are nasty and easy to run. If I want a 'special' casting Evard's Black Tentacles or whatever then I'll look up the spell in advance.

So:
1. small number of common, standard, GM-memorised spells.
2. Exotic spells prepped in advance.

I do like the 4e caster stat block but one reason it works is 4e had a nice Ritual system for all the out of combat casting, which 5e really lacks.

Quickleaf

Legend
I've really struggled with this myself. While those one-stop stat-blocks work for monsters with few spells (like many innate casters), they are just too big for many of the full fledged casters. When a stat block, like the Drow High Mage, exceeds a page, it become a lot harder for my to run as DM. Because I have *so many* other things I'm tracking.

I've tried my own hand at it recently... still not 100% satisfied with result as it requires too much reading to remember quickly what spells the caster monster has...but I did find marking the Concentration spells (in my case, with an asterisk *) was quite helpful.

I almost want some kind of graphics/icons to organize spells...but that would end up confusing their level ranges if fog cloud & gust of wind were grouped together thematically, for instance.

One step I'm strongly considering is making reaction or bonus action spells like shield or far step into their own callouts...much how 4e stat blocks separated moves from minor actions from actions.

When running multiple monsters, NPCs, hazards/terrain, and trying to weave that into compelling narrative, it becomes easy for me to forget bonus actions / reactions, as well as forgetting to roll recharge. For my use, those things needs to be – visually – much more prominent on the monster sheet.

QHNrXO7.png

Have you considered only giving your spellcasters access to spells if you already know how they work? Instead of inventing new monster abilities out of whole cloth, you just need to remember how fire bolt and burning hands work. You don't even really need to track spell slots, unless you expect combat to last more than three rounds.

Remove ads