Sindarin elvish translation?

javapadawan

First Post
My fiance and I are tying the knot this October, and after seeing Lord of the Rings quite a few times, I came up with what I think is a kind of nifty idea for our wedding bands (You can probably see where this is heading :)).

I'd like to have an inscription engraved on our otherwise plain gold bands which reads "One love to bind them". However, translating this to elvish seems a bit tricky, and so I turn to the always knowledgable and helpful folks here.

What I've come up with after some trial and error via a few different web sites is the following, which should be in Sindarin: "Min meleth an gwedi hain". Sindarin afficionados, what do you think?

Crothian

First Post
I don't have it, but there is THe Middle Earth Campaign Guide that has a pretty good elven to english and english to elven dictionary in it. THat might be of some help.

A2Z

Explorer
I have a middle earth lexicon at home. It's kind of like a guide to speaking elvish. When I get off work I'll look into it for you.

javapadawan

First Post
Much thanks to all...

Crothian: I'll look into the Middle Earth Campaign Guide, thanks!

A2Z: As long as it's no trouble, I would appreciate it. Every little bit helps!

Drew: Yeah, you got me there. Luckily my fiancee is a geek too... if he wasn't I'm pretty sure he'd have dumped me by now. :)

Mark: Thanks very much for the congrats and the link... I spent most of yesterday on Ardalambion and plan to spend the next couple days there as well reading up. As it turns out, this elvish language stuff is fascinating.

DM_Matt: I'll definitely check out the Silmarillion too, thanks!

Tsyr: Thanks very much for the pic and the translation... I may go with Quenya... The idea of using High Elvish quite appeals to me. :)

Neo

Explorer
One love to bind them all translates to

er melan nauta te ilye (in Quenya)

er melle nauta hain ilye (in Sindarin)

many of the words are the same only varying in the verbs and nouns dependant on whether past, present or future tense, and of course in the pronounciation

the sentence structure seems to vary also, so it would more likely be said

nau hain ilye ta er melle (them all bound to one love) - Sindarin

nau te ilye an er melan (as above) - Quenya

Crothian

First Post
My friend got the One Ring as his wedding band. I still can't bieleve she let him do that. Of course after the wedding he was onlt able to game once a month, and then after their first child that becaome not at all.

Remove ads