log in or register to remove this ad

 

Sindarin elvish translation?

javapadawan

First Post
My fiance and I are tying the knot this October, and after seeing Lord of the Rings quite a few times, I came up with what I think is a kind of nifty idea for our wedding bands (You can probably see where this is heading :)).

I'd like to have an inscription engraved on our otherwise plain gold bands which reads "One love to bind them". However, translating this to elvish seems a bit tricky, and so I turn to the always knowledgable and helpful folks here.

What I've come up with after some trial and error via a few different web sites is the following, which should be in Sindarin: "Min meleth an gwedi hain". Sindarin afficionados, what do you think?
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Crothian

First Post
I don't have it, but there is THe Middle Earth Campaign Guide that has a pretty good elven to english and english to elven dictionary in it. THat might be of some help.
 

A2Z

Explorer
I have a middle earth lexicon at home. It's kind of like a guide to speaking elvish. When I get off work I'll look into it for you.
 





javapadawan

First Post
Much thanks to all...

Crothian: I'll look into the Middle Earth Campaign Guide, thanks!

A2Z: As long as it's no trouble, I would appreciate it. Every little bit helps!

Drew: Yeah, you got me there. Luckily my fiancee is a geek too... if he wasn't I'm pretty sure he'd have dumped me by now. :)

Mark: Thanks very much for the congrats and the link... I spent most of yesterday on Ardalambion and plan to spend the next couple days there as well reading up. As it turns out, this elvish language stuff is fascinating.

DM_Matt: I'll definitely check out the Silmarillion too, thanks!

Tsyr: Thanks very much for the pic and the translation... I may go with Quenya... The idea of using High Elvish quite appeals to me. :)
 

Neo

Explorer
One love to bind them all translates to

er melan nauta te ilye (in Quenya)

er melle nauta hain ilye (in Sindarin)

many of the words are the same only varying in the verbs and nouns dependant on whether past, present or future tense, and of course in the pronounciation

the sentence structure seems to vary also, so it would more likely be said

nau hain ilye ta er melle (them all bound to one love) - Sindarin

nau te ilye an er melan (as above) - Quenya
 

Crothian

First Post
My friend got the One Ring as his wedding band. I still can't bieleve she let him do that. Of course after the wedding he was onlt able to game once a month, and then after their first child that becaome not at all.
 

evileeyore

Mrrrph
And thus the corrupting influence of the One Ring. The more he wore it the more he disappeared...

Hence I say avoid the One Ring at all costs.
 

javapadawan

First Post
Originally posted by Neo
er melan nauta te ilye (in Quenya)
er melle nauta hain ilye (in Sindarin)

nau hain ilye ta er melle (them all bound to one love) - Sindarin
nau te ilye an er melan (as above) - Quenya

Wow, thanks Neo. Looks like my original attempt was off by quite a bit. Now I'm off to play with tengwar to see how they'll look...
 

Neo

Explorer
javapadawan said:


Wow, thanks Neo. Looks like my original attempt was off by quite a bit. Now I'm off to play with tengwar to see how they'll look...

No worries, glad i could help, and i wish you and your future Spouse every future happiness
 

A2Z

Explorer
Re: Much thanks to all...

javapadawan said:
A2Z: As long as it's no trouble, I would appreciate it. Every little bit helps!
Hey, sorry it took so long to get back to this thread. I couldn't find the book. I have it now but it looks like Neo beat me to it. I'm getting the same translation as him. Anyway, if anyone's interested the name of the book is; The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth. It's pretty interesting, it's a guide to the languages and alphabets's he created for middle-earth.
 


Sodalis

First Post
now the trick is to get it written in elvish so that the only people who can read it are you, your fiance (husband to be) and the specialists taht devote their life to this sort of thing...

i think that is a such a sweet thing to do...
 


Sigmund

First Post
Re: Re: Much thanks to all...

A2Z said:
Hey, sorry it took so long to get back to this thread. I couldn't find the book. I have it now but it looks like Neo beat me to it. I'm getting the same translation as him. Anyway, if anyone's interested the name of the book is; The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth. It's pretty interesting, it's a guide to the languages and alphabets's he created for middle-earth.

Great book.....I draw many of characters names from this book. Not just from elven, but also from the other languages and even their sources, such as Dainn and Nainn ("corpse" in old Norse if my memory serves). Dainn was one of my favorite characters on EQ before I stopped playing. I always thought it was appropriate to name him "corpse" ;)
 

WSmith

First Post
Crothian said:
My friend got the One Ring as his wedding band. I still can't bieleve she let him do that. Of course after the wedding he was onlt able to game once a month, and then after their first child that becaome not at all.

Then evileeyore said:

And thus the corrupting influence of the One Ring. The more he wore it the more he disappeared...

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! This is so true. :D That is teh funny!
 


An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top