D&D 5E Sing to me of Box Sets, what cool things have been in them, what cool things do you want in them?

darjr

I crit!
The speculation threads made me think about what kind of things I want. And I want box sets. I love em. The Dark Sun setting box set from 2e was cool. So was the Gardmore Abby one with the deck of many things in it. I think the king of box sets are the Call of Cthulhu classic boxed sets.

I want card decks, more player handouts. Maps that are art that I can hand out to my players that illustrate room or scene but have enough info so the players could draw a tactical map if needed. Revealed secrets as hand outs. Unique dice. Though if they came as separate products to be used to gether that might be cool.

The Beedle and Grimm box sets seem to be the current champion of box sets however.

GlassJaw

Hero
Oh man I loved boxed sets from 1ed/2ed era. I sold a big chunk of my RPG collection kept all the boxed sets. I have a TON.

Favorites:
Greyhawk From the Ashes
City of Greyhawk
FR City of Splendors (Waterdeep)
Night Below

For me it's all about the maps. The Ad&d maps were so evocative and immersive. The City of Greyhawk even had multiple versions! One was a standard top-down map and another was an isometric artist rendition. The CoG boxed sets also has 8x10 poster board sheets with short adventures on them.

I absolutely love them but I also believe they were one of the (many) reasons TSR fell apart. They were very cost-prohibitive to produce.

Dausuul

Legend
What I'd want in a boxed set depends on what the set is. An adventure? A setting? An introductory "welcome to D&D" set?

Since Dark Sun is the boxed set that would most appeal to me, I'll go with that one. I am assuming that this would be a luxury product based on a Dark Sun setting book. What I'd want in it:

1. The setting book split up into a player book (subclasses, races, feats, psi rules, etc.) and a DM book (monsters, magic items, guides to running a Dark Sun campaign).

2. Maps, maps, and more maps. A big hex map of the Tablelands, plus a detailed map for each of the city-states. (The details of city geography come up surprisingly often in urban adventures.)

3. A handful of minis for iconic Dark Sun monsters. Bonus points if they can find a way to include a Huge or Gargantuan mini for the Dragon.

Shiroiken

Legend
Boxed sets are mostly useful for the fiddly bits: maps, tokens, cards, handouts, etc. I've seen boxed sets without few, if any of these, and it feels like its a product waste (except starter sets, where the box makes it a gift idea).

I want a big ol' version of Darlene's Greyhawk maps.

Absolutely giant.

I guess a book would be nice, too, but kind of superfluous compared to the big ol' maps!
Ohhh maps! I love maps, especially hers :love:

Voadam

Legend
Fold out maps, for setting products, it was nice to have a container to put them in when not at the table.
Tarroka deck for Ravenloft.
Monster counters from Monster Vault were super useful.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases