D&D General Single class party?

Allow single class parties?

• Yes

Votes: 79 98.8%
  • No

Votes: 1 1.3%

Zardnaar

Legend
Player fiat, really. As DM I don't dictate what class compliment the players choose to have.

Personally I wouldn't want to be in a game where the DM says 'No, you have to play <insert class> because the group needs it' or 'No, you can't play <insert class> because another player is already running one.'

I more put warning labels up. During session 0.

" Play what you want but think about a somewhat balanced party. Don't deliberately make a bad character, you don't need to power game but you can't suck either".

I'll be tweaking that to rule out the following.

Four Elements Monk
Beastmaster Ranger
Alchemist Artificer
Berserker Barbarian.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I’ve got a game that is just 2 totem Barbarians currently, though they sometimes have guest players who are other things.

I’d love to play an all fighter or all rogue game, or even Paladin or ranger.

Probably not as a sandbox campaign, though. Holy pilgrimage, guerrilla warriors against colonizers, crew of criminals, mercenary band, etc.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I’ve got a game that is just 2 totem Barbarians currently, though they sometimes have guest players who are other things.

I’d love to play an all fighter or all rogue game, or even Paladin or ranger.

Probably not as a sandbox campaign, though. Holy pilgrimage, guerrilla warriors against colonizers, crew of criminals, mercenary band, etc.
Locate and de-magic a powerful relic of The Other Guys' faith. Leave the now-mundane item where you found it, and make it look like you were never there.

Or leave a mundane copy but take the powerful original with you.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Locate and de-magic a powerful relic of The Other Guys' faith. Leave the now-mundane item where you found it, and make it look like you were never there.

Or leave a mundane copy but take the powerful original with you.
I really want a divine rogue. I keep trying to put one together, but I never quite get what I want from it.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
It's very doable in 5e

I think that even more achievable is a "theme" party.

For example, an all stealth party: Shadow monk, arcane trickter rogue, ranger, cleric of trickery, eldritch knight with criminal background.

The holy party: Paladin, light cleric, divine soul, celestial warlock, zealot barbarian.

The warrior Party (this actually happened!): Ranger, Monk, Paladin, 2 fighters.

Nature party: Druid, Barbarian, Ranger, rogue scout, X with outlander background.

etc etc etc.

R_J_K75

Legend
I'd allow it and I always thought it would be fun but just never put enough thought into starting a campaign nor have players ever expressed interest in doing so.

Another twist on this idea is not running a party of all the same class but a group of players that all belong to single organization like a thieves guild, wizards academy or bards college for example.

Remove ads