D&D 5E Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh 5e

Nebulous

Legend
Find a copy of the 3.5 Dungeon Master's Guide II, it has a full writeup of Saltmarsh full of plot hooks. Its set somewhat after U1-3, but enough of its portable back. Seriously, its one of the best town writeups I've ever seen.

I bet I can take just a small handful of plot hooks and connect them to the originals. It's overwhelming how much stuff is there, it's amazing. You're right, i hadn't read it in YEARS, if ever, I pulled the book out and realized I must have glossed over it.

Nebulous

Legend
WELL, goes to prove that you can still mine past editions for 5e material! Those 30 pages are largely system neutral but packed with fun flavor. You can literally go through it, make some notes as you go, and come out with the thread of a campaign already laid out!

Nebulous

Legend
So I should ask this: of those who are familiar with both the originals and the 3.5 DMG 2 version of Saltmarsh - what are some of the top ideas to pluck out and insert? I realize this is purely subjective opinion, I'm just curious. I'm not familiar with the original 3 arc story yet (our trip isn't for six weeks yet so i'm planning ahead) so I'm doing groundwork now.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
This thread really takes me back. I think that I probably ran Saltmarsh at least a half dozen times for various groups. I am so nostalgic for this that I am almost tempted to TPK my party this weekend and then start with new PCs at low level and run them through it. :lol:

Lichemaster

Explorer
Running this next week.
Have a paper ship all assembled waiting for the big fight for the end.
I will just be running pretty close to the original.

Remove ads