• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Six From Gate Pass - Chapter 3: Shelter From The Storm

Gregor

First Post
Arnir, you close the door to your room and begin examining the various items.

The old tome that was prematurely disintegrated by Kirio's eager hands appears to be the remains of a very ancient spell book. Your read magic cantrip shows that three full spells remain: Glitterdust, Mount and a curious spell called Burning Blood.

The large black scroll tube is clearly made from lead and has been heavily lacquered. Inside the tube is a tightly rolled scroll which emits moderate auras of conjuration, transmutation and necromancy. When you remove it and begin to examine it, you see that it can be unrolled into a length of almost 6 feet. The material is black as night and strange to the touch, like thin leather but it sheds warmth like a candle. The scroll is covered in writing in a language that means nothing to you, but you notice similarities between the characters and some of the Yuan-Ti script that you saw in the cave complex. The writing, designs and iconography are all written in a dark red substance which is mixed with something metallic such as silver dust. Strangely, it cannot be identified as a distinct item but you divine a name for the scroll: The Ebon Treatise of Sskultath. The scroll can be deciphered and you know that with access to the Lyceum archives, this would take you approximately a week.

GM: Arnir, I will email you a copy of the Burning Blood spell and detail what is contained on the black scroll once you decipher it. Deciphering the scroll will require a successful linguistics check after one week of study. Use of the Lyceum for that time will grant a +5 to the check.

GM: Bannock/Hrimr, keep in mind that you're at the temple while the remainder of the party is having these discussions.

Last edited:

funkmamagoat

First Post
"Its at Lowduke's warehouse. There are 2 ways to enter: by the skylight in the roof, or through the front door. But better yet, some of us should masquerade as potential buyers. I know exactly who can set it up, too. Then it would really be a piece of cake. We could have 2 or 3 inside with Lowduke, 2 more outside ready to charge in, and I could create a diversion by entering by the skylight. Lowduke is in there with 4 other men. I killed one, but at least one of them is a mage of some sort. There are some caged animals in there, too."

Kirio ponders for a bit "well, I suppose that could work, not entirely subtle, but subtlety is not necessarily required... Some questions; how do we know this Lowduke fellow has the egg? I know that of course we do know this, and as Alric says I am not unskilled at convincing speech, but would he, Lowduke that is, not be suspicious of unannounced buyers showing up at his warehouse looking to buy a Dragon egg. Are you sure the skylight route is open to you? I would not want the distraction to consist of you falling from the ceiling to your untimely death. Do you happen to recall what kind of animals were in the cages you mention? You are now a member of the thieve's guild no? This fellow may not be a member, but my understanding of these things would suggest that we may be stepping on a toe or two should we suddenly "liberate" the egg from this fellow and kill him, without the guild getting its "due" as it were? Do not misunderstand, in my opinion we need to secure the egg from Lowduke, but we should be prepared for eventualities no?"

"Don't worry Kirio, there is wine! I propose a toast to the Gatepass 6." Lars smiles and takes a deep pull from his glass.

Kirio smiles a little sadly and takes the offered wine "well, I might as well after that. To the 6 indeed! I daresay none of us would have imagined all we have been through since our meeting in gatepass, seems years ago now. An unlikely companionship... yet it has proved more than entertaining; let us hope it continues to be so!!" With that he drains his glass and refills it, intending to get good and wrecked before retiring to a well deserved rest...

Last edited:

fromage67

First Post
Some questions; how do we know this Lowduke fellow has the egg? I know that of course we do know this, and as Alric says I am not unskilled at convincing speech, but would he, Lowduke that is, not be suspicious of unannounced buyers showing up at his warehouse looking to buy a Dragon egg.

"We won't show up unannounced. I'll get my Thieve's Guild contact to set it up for us. He has a drinking establishment in South Harbour."

Are you sure the skylight route is open to you? I would not want the distraction to consist of you falling from the ceiling to your untimely death. Do you happen to recall what kind of animals were in the cages you mention?

"Mangy wolves, mostly. A bear too, I think."

You are now a member of the thieve's guild no? This fellow may not be a member, but my understanding of these things would suggest that we may be stepping on a toe or two should we suddenly "liberate" the egg from this fellow and kill him, without the guild getting its "due" as it were? Do not misunderstand, in my opinion we need to secure the egg from Lowduke, but we should be prepared for eventualities no?"[/I][/COLOR]

"I'm not a member of the guild, Romeo is. They don't know Lars at all. So, basically, I don't care."

digimattic

First Post
Arnir takes a sip of tea as he opens the grotesque, skin bound tome and nearly it out as his eyes widen. "By Mystra...A singularly nasty man must have dreamt up this spell." Over the next 3.5 hours, Arnir slaves away, copying the contents of the tome into his own spellbook before returning to his private carrel in the Lyceum with both the mysterious scroll and the skin-bound tome.

Hours pass and slowly the torches lighting the small cramped room begin to flicker and gutter out. He emerges bleary eyed into the stone corridor that rings the library. Locking the heavy wooden door to his study room, Arnir makes for home, but as he passes the Inn and sees Kirio and Lars talking, he decides to treat himself to a night cap.

funkmamagoat

First Post
Kirio nods at Arnir as he pulls up a chair and pours him a drink "Good timing Arnir, how go your studies? I was just about to talk things over with our intrepid and fearless young rogue here" He pours himself yet another glass.

"Alright... I like your answers on the plan. If you get the set up though, we may still have the guild sniffing behind us after things go south for Lowduke, but whatever. We're not guild as you say. On the animals I have what you might call a surprising talent with ... animals. I may try and get Hrimr to calm one of the beasts and see if it will" Kirio smiles queerly "become my... pet." He has another sip of wine and a bit of cheese, feeling quite warm and dry, happy despite his mediocre performance; more than a little drunk at this point. "I don't contribute much to actual combat, but whatever, if that doesn't work I'll just purchase an attack dog or something. Back to Lowduke, we gain entrance, and pounce on them... that's the plan in the end right? Seems to me we are being a little too subtle. If we're going to storm in there in the end anyway, we know where their warehouse is and the general layout, why not just wait until dark tomorrow night and get the bloody business done and over with. What do you think Arnir?"

digimattic

First Post
Arnir shrugs as the two conclude their discussion "I have little talent for subtlety. If you want people dead...That I can do." He sips his wine and nibbles at some cheese despite his lack of appetite "I may be able to put a good portion of them to sleep, depending how resilient they are, but beyond that, my skills lie mainly in making people feel pain" he gives a slightly maniacal smile before returning to his wine.

funkmamagoat

First Post
Kirio laughs quietly at Arnir's words "I'll take that as agreement. If we're not going to negotiate in one way or another, why the subterfuge? What do you think Lars?"

digimattic

First Post
Arnir nods "the only reason I can see for negotiation is if we are not willing or able to kill this Lowduke fellow, his lackeys and appropriate the egg. I for one have no issue killing the man, earning some gold coin and ingratiating myself with a dragon. If we are simply unable to defeat him and his friends, then perhaps we make him an offer and give him a portion of our reward being careful not to tell him where this reward comes from, lest he attempt to earn it on his own. Naturally, I'd rather not go this route, though perhaps some of our more scrupulous companions may take issue. We'll just have to convince them."

Arnir winks as he takes a sip of wine "Lastly, I've been giving the dragon itself some thought. It seems to me that just walking into Naizelasa's den, egg in hand, puts us at a distinct disadvantage. What is to stop it from simply killing us on the spot and taking the egg? Would it not be better to set up a deal ahead of time securing us the Lyre and returning the egg?"

fromage67

First Post
Lars says, "The reason we don't charge in through the front door is that would be giving away tactical advantage. You and Arnir should be Elven buyers, I'll set up a meeting through the owner of the Bronze Trident, I'll offer him a cut, acting as Romeo of course. Bannock or Alric can go in with you. Hrimr and Alric, say waiting outside ready to barge in. I will come in through the skylight and attract some of them to me. That will surely allow you to get the drop on them and act with surprise. The guys in front will know when to attack because I will signal them before I act."

"As far as tackling the dragon, I totally agree we should set up a deal, but the question will be how."

digimattic

First Post
Arnir nods his head in approval "That makes sense to me, so long as I'm not questioned. I'm a poor thespian, you see..."

pausing for a moment he thinks about Lars' last point "Naturally, we need to obtain the egg first, but my sense of things is that once the dragon knows we have the egg, she would be dissuaded from doing us violence, lest something happen to one of her brood. Kirio, what do you know of such dragons?"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads