Size of character parties

In your game, how many characters are there in a 'typical' party?

• 1 to 2

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 3 to 4

Votes: 30 23.4%
  • 5 to 6

Votes: 79 61.7%
  • 7 to 8

Votes: 16 12.5%
  • More than 8

Votes: 2 1.6%

Ant

First Post
I run two groups and if I average them out I get about 4.5 players. I love running small and large groups -- each has it's own challenges but it's always rewarding. My 'ideal' group would be 5 players.

EyeontheMountain

First Post
I think thge best number of players is 5-6, as then they can cover the basics, and double up on a role or two. Or, if desired, hey can play a class that doesn't fit one of the roels well such as Dragonfire Adept, Warlock, Bard etc.

But due to RL concerns, my group is three, which means we do gestalt.

Aramax

First Post
Thad Enouf said:
I think the "sweet spot" is somewhere between 4 and 6 PCs, depending on player experience, game edition, classes, and level. Currently, I am the DM of three PCs and one NPC and it's about perfect for our play style in lower level adventuring.

I say the 4-6 PCs is just about perfect(although I would much prefer 6 over 4).

I prefer five. With the occasional absense and so forth, that results in four players per session. Actual group size tends to be more like six, which is just big enough to cause problems.

Goblyn

Explorer
Griffith Dragonlake said:
The reason I find 3 players ideal is that it allows for a more intimate game. No player is out of the limelight for very long.

My group has found that as well. Even 4 is ok, but 3 makes it ... fast.

Ealli

First Post
Five almost always. That allows the four bases to be covered plus a little extra flexibility. We could go to six, but then we start running into a much greater tendency to have scheduling conflicts and requires greater rewriting of the modules we run.

Remove ads