SJG's The Fantasy Trip Opens To 3rd-Party Creators

Following on from the phenomenal success of WotC's Dungeon Master's Guild, Steve Jackson Games is opening up its latest (revived from the 1970s) RPG, The Fantasy Trip (currently on Kickstarter), to third parties on its PDF storefront, Warehouse 23.

Following on from the phenomenal success of WotC's Dungeon Master's Guild, Steve Jackson Games is opening up its latest (revived from the 1970s) RPG, The Fantasy Trip (currently on Kickstarter), to third parties on its PDF storefront, Warehouse 23.

8b591f39f05c9b11dd5db923290a1193_original.jpg

The revived The Fantasy Trip is currently coming to the end of its Kickstarter run, and the license will be opened up in 2019. The license will include Cidri (the world), allowing creators to sell adventures, locations, monsters, and so on:

"In 2019, the world of Cidri, the official setting for Steve Jackson's The Fantasy Trip roleplaying game, expands as everyone is invited to contribute adventures (solo and game mastered), area writeup and history, monsters, characters, treasure, and more to the game.

In celebration and support of the return of The Fantasy Trip, Steve Jackson Games will release a limited publishing agreement for the game in 2019.

Under the terms of the license, writers and illustrators will be able to create original PDFs for sale on Warehouse 23, the Steve Jackson Games web store, and earn royalties for the sale of those works. All PDFs offered for sale under this agreement will have the right to use the world of Cidri and the TFT game mechanics, all under an official "Compatible with The Fantasy Trip" logo.

The limited publishing license will provide fans of The Fantasy Trip with more support than Steve Jackson Games alone can manage, as well as offering creators an opportunity to showcase their talents and transform their ideas into official PDFs.
Please watch thefantasytrip.game for more information on the upcoming TFT Limited Publishing Agreement."

The Fantasy Trip is a fantasy tabletop RPG dating back to 1977s, written by Steve Jackson for Metagaming Concepts, and designed to be played with a GM or on their own. According to Wikikepdia, it was the first published RPG to use a point-buy system for character creation (previously random dice rolls were usually used). Jackson regained the rights to The Fantasy Trip in 2017, and launched the current Kickstarter. Originally, the game consisted of a series of micrograms -- Melee, Wizard, and more.

Sonny

Adventurer
Who knew Robert Plant was so dangerous with a morning star?

Well if you ever listened to the song "Black Orc" you would have known from the opening lines:

Hey, Hey orc said the way you fight
Gon' bash your head, gon' lose your sight

... I'll see myself out

Edit: Me no spell gud

Last edited by a moderator:

Rygar

Explorer
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/guild-adept-program

Chris Lindsay has said in just about every interview how successful it is, how it's grown way bigger than expected, and how they are taking steps to better curate and market the content because of how good it is. The Guild Adept program is one in a long-line of those steps.

Isn't that the article where WOTC went on and on about how successful and popular a set of 10 authors were, and then when you looked at their products you found that the majority of them had only a few works, and a fair number of the works they were promoting were rated mediocre?

Any time WOTC says *anything* I would argue it's worth a healthy dose of analysis and research. I can't think of any statement from WOTC regarding popularity in years that wasn't easily found to be less than truthful.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads