• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

skill-based d20?

Psionicist

Explorer
Hello there!

Are there any plans for a skill based d20 game?

I have been thinking of doing this myself for some months now but there are always other things I do so nothing happens. Can someone please think of the possibilites and create one? :)

Thanks.

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
I think d20 Call of Cthulhu next month will be skill based, in that there are no character classes to choose from. That might be what you're looking for; if so, it could probably translate into a 3e conversion fairly easily.

Last edited:

Psionicist

Explorer
Skill based is not class based, that's what I mean.

A skill based game offers lots of freedom when you create a character, and it's possible to be really good at something even at first level.

Have you ever played the CRPG Fallout? It's a great example!

BadMojo

First Post
Psionicist,

I think Call of Cthulhu D20 will be close to what you are describing. AFAIK, it will be a system with one "Invesigator" class and two choices of BAB progression. My guess is that the better BAB will cost you quite a few skill points. So, almost all of the customization on a character will be done with skill selection (and a few feats of course).

If the D20 version is faithful to the Mythos feel, Investigators will be "fully formed" at creation. D&D characters tend to be quite young and inexperienced at creation. CoC Investigators are often professionals...physicians, journalists, college professors, so they SHOULD be quite good at a few select skills that fit their profession.

Remove ads