• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Skill based magic in D20 games.

Actually, in all honesty, the game I ran with my own rules as playtest went well until about 7th level (by which point I'd already put out the book). That was the point that one player's non-magic-using PC died, and he wanted to play a mage. Whereas most of the people in the game previously had been everyday folks who learned some magic, his Catholic priest character was in it from the get-go.

It's been a long while, but I recall abuses along the lines of shapeshifting into pigeons to evade police detection, conjuring a wall in front of a moving car during a high speed chase, and charming just about everyone he ran across.

Then there was the PC who could conjure tanks. That was okay, though, because he had no training in using them.

Since publishing the book, I got a chance to look at White Wolf's new Mage. I think if I were to do some revisions, I'd include a limit: spells with a duration require concentration, unless you spend some sort of resource to let it have its own duration. Make that resource fairly limited. Action points maybe. Mage uses 'mana,' which you can only draw from special places, and you can only carry so much with you at a time.

I'm really proud of Mythic Earth, but I recognize it has flaws.

genshou

First Post
I still don't see it.

Versatility doesn't make you more powerful. You are still limited to a certain maximum spell level. You also don't have all those skill points to spend on other skills. A Smart hero who focused only on casting spells wouldn't be so useful when you needed a guy who could slice into any security system, pick any lock, answer any question, and build a custom assault rifle.

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
I went with a simple approach and used the spell point system with standard magic. Your total spell points were equal to your [(ranks in Spellcraft)/2]^2 with the ability to cast 3 + spellcraft ranks in 0-level spells per day. Your maximum spell level was your Spellcraft ranks/2 minus two. The number of spells known was equal to 3 + 2 * knowledge (arcana) + Int modifier and you cast like a sorceror. If characters took levels in a spellcasting advanced or prestige class they got to add their level in the class to their spellcraft ranks to determine spell points (added before all the math). Then you got bonus spell points equal to bonus Power Points from the Psionics handbook (added after the math). I did it to emulate a Magitech game from Amazing Engine. But after all that the game became almost completely story and we didn't do much with the rules. A friend of mine thought about using it for his Shadowrun conversion.

Yes, Arcane Skills was included as a feat.

If I wanted to do fatigue attached to it, I would just use the Star Wars Saga damage system but substitute spell points for hit point damage.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads