Skill-based magic systems?

Yair

Community Supporter
To orchestrate my next "great campaign" (which will probably be played several months years from now... sometime), I am in need of a skill-based magic system. Preferably one that will allow for generally subtle effects (in the "long ritual with some risk in return for not-showy bonus or some summoning" way), and with a Cthuluic quality to it (in the "oh my god they summoned the demon Bigbadbop" way, not the "I'm losing my mind" way). Hopefully one that will fit both D&D and d20 Modern.
As the hour is pressing, I turn to the great sages of ENWorld for aid. Pray tell, what system shall I use, and where can I find it?

Vaxalon

First Post
You can build whatever magic system you need using Elements of Magic Revised. It's not skill-based in the sense of skill bonuses and suchlike, though that's an easy bit to add in.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Green Ronin's Psychic's Handbook has a skills and feat based system for, well, psychics, that is essentially a magic system. Bad Axes Grim Tales has a skill, feat, talent based system for casting any D20 spell. And there is of course D20 Call of Cthulha and its spells. All seem to share at least some of the elements you are looking for, though summoning Bigadbop was not specifically covered in any

Macbeth

First Post
Ditto on the Psychic's Handbook. Sounds like exactly what your looking for. Skill based, subtle, supports modern. I really like this book, and I woulod recommend it even for a more general purpose. For your exact needs, it sounds like a great fit.

From what I understand, The Black Company Campaign Setting has a fairly good skill based magic systme. I haven't seen it first hand because of the money issue (the book is fairly pricey) but I hear that it is very well done. It is also done be Green Ronin, so maybe they followed the Psionics Skill system.?

Quickleaf

Legend
Great recommendations so far!

I recently found the Second World Sourcebook on the internet which details a very detailed system of pact magic (free). Just google it. Though it will take some adapting, it's an extremely well-done interpretation of magic with a strong flavor of "oh my god, we summoned a demon, but I may just be so corrupt by now I might be OK with it."

Of course, I always get inspiration from Ars Magic (4th edition) which I frequently go back to when revising the magic system or to get new ideas.

Aaron2

Explorer
TerraDave said:
Green Ronin's Psychic's Handbook has a skills and feat based system for, well, psychics, that is essentially a magic system.

Won't this system be used for magic in the forthcoming Blue Rose game?

Aaron

broghammerj

Explorer
I will strongly second (or maybe 3rd at this point) the Psychic's Handbook. It offers tremendous playability on a skill based magic/psychic mechanic. It would take a sizeable amount of work to convert existing spells, but it sounds like you may have a more limited spell selection.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Aaron2 said:
Won't this system be used for magic in the forthcoming Blue Rose game?

Aaron

I think I heard that, and the Psychic's Handbook and Blue Rose do have the same author.

Also, the Psychic's Handbook is designed to be used with D&D and D20 modern (though there is some omitted info on the Psychic advanced class on the Green Ronin web page)

Remove ads