D&D 5E Skills - Does anyone actually like the way they're headed?

Salamandyr

Adventurer
Until the addition of proficiency bonuses to things like skill checks, or as I like to call them "non combat task resolution" checks, I thought they were broken too.

There's a disconnect between the suggested DC (15 & 20) and what shows up in their playtest modules. The game works very well with middle difficulty DC's being 13 instead.

Adendum: basically their mechanic works very well, but they may have to tweak the numbers somewhat to hit the sweetspot they're aiming for. So they are on the right track.

Sadrik

First Post
Until the addition of proficiency bonuses to things like skill checks, or as I like to call them "non combat task resolution" checks, I thought they were broken too.

There's a disconnect between the suggested DC (15 & 20) and what shows up in their playtest modules. The game works very well with middle difficulty DC's being 13 instead.

Adendum: basically their mechanic works very well, but they may have to tweak the numbers somewhat to hit the sweetspot they're aiming for. So they are on the right track.

Perhaps DCs 10/13/16/19/22/25...

Sadrik

First Post
Where it starts needs to be examined and the math worked out for typical results and what DM expectations are and likely DC calls etc.

They also have the concept of proficiency and mastery. Those two concepts need to be modeled in the math so that each feels right and expected results occur.

For scaling, do they want/need it? Can they create it without it and allow scaling to happen within the rules as an option? That would be the preferable approach.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Where it starts needs to be examined and the math worked out for typical results and what DM expectations are and likely DC calls etc.

They also have the concept of proficiency and mastery. Those two concepts need to be modeled in the math so that each feels right and expected results occur.

For scaling, do they want/need it? Can they create it without it and allow scaling to happen within the rules as an option? That would be the preferable approach.

Hey, we're having a conversation here. I'll ask again:

When you actually have played the playtest, are you finding in-play that the DCs are broken and the bonuses are not working? What have you found to be the results in your games?

jrowland

First Post
I have noticed something similar in play. I've been doing:

Auto-success: Stuff not worth rolling for
DC:5 Easy, but you can still mess up and there are consequences if you do.
DC:10 Average, should pass at competent stuff, 50/50 if you're not competent.
DC:15 Hard, more likely to fail even if competent, experts should do fine.
DC:20 Difficult, good luck with that.
DC:25 Insane, Are you sure you want to try and fail? you do? fine. roll.

Most of the action is 5,10,15 but I think 8,13,18 would probably hit that sweet spot.

Remove ads