D&D 5E Skills in 5E. Do we want them?

How would you like Skills to be in D&D5E?

• Same as they are in 3.5 or Pathfinder.

Votes: 40 24.0%
  • Limited skill lists based on Class and Level (like 4E)

Votes: 48 28.7%
  • No skills - just Class and Level based Abilities (like C&C)

Votes: 18 10.8%
  • A simple skill list like Pathfinder Beginners.

Votes: 12 7.2%
  • More Skills.

Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Something else - please detail.

Votes: 37 22.2%

It does when one skill has +level and the other has +1/2 level, which is what I responded to :)

It kinda is, actually.

Ie, let's say you're expected to need to roll a 6 to succeed with your good skill (75% chance, not bad). Now you need a 21 on the d20 to succeed with your bad skill. :) (Or you need a 15 to succeed with your bad skill, and a 0 on the d20 to succeed with your good skill, whatever)

Anyhow, I'd like skills to not be about chasing bonuses, however they work out. I'm good with "skilled folks do cooler stuff". Very good with it. Skill powers and all.

Well, Monte seems to be using some sort of hard cut-off, which has sort of the reverse problem, which is sometimes you just plain cannot do something. That can be rough. It is of course possible with skills, but there's not a lot of chance that one guy in the party is awesome and everyone else is totally incompetent. The same range of numbers THEORETICALLY comes up in combat in 4e, just nobody ever bothers to make a really low chance attack except a few corner cases.

"Special tricks" are a perfectly good concept. they can call them skills or whatever terminology makes people happy of course.

Remove ads