Skills or Feats?

Which do you favor (overall), Skills or Feats?

• Skills

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Feats

Votes: 22 44.9%
  • I can't decide

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • I don't care

Votes: 5 10.2%

madriel

First Post
bondetamp said:

That would be a skill. :p

Yes, I realize that. I had two cats fighting over who got to sit on my lap so I didn't explain that well.

I was trying to say the PHB lists weaponsmithing as a skill. It's a Craft skill, not a Professsion BTW. Now crafting magical weapons is an item creation feat.

I regard this as a logical choice on the designers' part. I see skills as being something that any NPC could get, just by life experience and apprenticeship. I look upon feats as something only heroes, nobles and other unusual people would have access to because feats aren't needed in everyday life. You won't find a farmboy using Great Cleave on cornstalks.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
I voted "I can't decide" but my actual response is more along the lines of "they don't compete against each other in my mind."

Which of the two I find more important is based largely on the character I'm building, and even then, nearly every character I've built in 3e has favored certain feats and certain skills. You need both to create a lot of concepts.

A previous poster asked who put a lot of points into swim and jump. Well, I haven't put many points into swim (got the number up to a positive and left it there,) but my rogue has a +20 to her jump check, and I'm seriously looking at a ring of jumping. That, with the PsiHB feat Mental Leap, should finally allow me to run a PC who can fight while jumping from treetop to treetop...

And that's my point. It's a combination of skill (jump) and feat (Mental Leap) that make my character possible. It's probably the same for others as well.

Skills or Feats?

Both. :D

Remove ads